Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Local time: 17:59
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 1

HI there,

I have a review to do and I really think I could do it faster and more accurate using a CAT tool. I have just tried to create a New Project combining all 12 files I got from client but Trados does not let me have the same target and source language. I am not sure why this is an issue at all, since one could imagine a monolingual task being done with the help of Trados. I have also tried via single file translation, there at least Trados let me chose same language for source and target, but when I open the file generated I get prompts of error and some functions like 'copy source to target' are greyed out.

Any tips how one can perform a monolingual task on Trados? Am I missing something or the tool really does not allow it?

Thanks in advance,

Soraya Hoepfner

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Blake Paz Bonzano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
American vs British English Mar 1

You may select two language variants so that you can continue with your task. Not all languages have them though.
Here have a look: http://kb.sdl.com/?article=4878&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4878

Create a new project and, in languages, select one that is different from another. Based on your language pairs, and checking Trados, Portuguese (Brasil) and Portuguese (Portugal) are both available. German variants and French variants are there too.

Maybe Trados does not recognize both languages to be the same as a source and target, which is kind of logic.

I hope this helps.

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Trados doesn't include monolingual functions Mar 1

Soraya Hoepfner wrote:

(...)
I am not sure why this is an issue at all, since one could imagine a monolingual task being done with the help of Trados.
(...)

Hello Soraya,
the Trados Studio editions don't include monolingual workflows. The program assumes you are doing translations from source to target language, and then you do a revision / sign-off of your translation. You can also do a BINLINGUAL revision (= proofreading) in the first place by importing the translation (for example from a Bilingual Excel file); you can then show-up 'Track Changes' which will show you how your (or someone else's) translation has changed after editing.
These 'tracked changes' would be the only useful feature also in monolingual workflows, but then: Just use MS WORD which has the same feature, no need to use a CAT tool at all.

Howerver, what about using the powerful QA functions in your Trados Studio on monolingual documents? You can do that, but you need to 'trick' Trados thinking you're doing a translation... Do the following:
Build an Excel table where you simply replicate the text in 2 columns, then import this using the 'Bilingual Excel' file type. Make sure you are using the TARGET LANGUAGE the same language as your monolingual text, the source language doesn't matter.
You will then be able to use all Trados functions, also the QA functions. However: only a limited number of QA functions will be really useful for monolingual purposes, for example a simple spell check or terminology check against a list of words to be used or which are disallowed, other functions are only useful for a 'real' translation.

Other Tip: There is a free tool, XBench v.2.9 which has a powerful QA implementation which I think can be used on a monolingual document together with termbases or other databases.

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-03-01 19:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Monolingual Job on Trados

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search