how to export/generate a bilingual .doc in Trados?
Thread poster: aruban

aruban
Taiwan
Mar 2, 2017

In Files View of Trados 2014, I right-clicked a XXXX.doc.sdlxliff, then Batch Tasks --> Export files --> File version to export --> Latest bilingual version. Yet, the bilingual file so generated is in .sdlxliff format, not .doc I desire.

I also tried Batch Tasks --> Generate Target Translation. It did turn out a .doc I want -- but it was not in bilingual format (only target text inside)!

Does anybody know how to generate/export a BILINGUAL .DOC for my completed/incomplete translation so that I can do some editing in MS Word?? I appreciate any suggestion you may have. Thanks~

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:03
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Did you try this? Mar 2, 2017

http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/export-translation-from-trados-studio-for-external-review-in-word/

I just googled it. Apparently there are multiple ways. I use the export for bilingual review button on the review tab/ribbon in 2015 and 2017.

Gan Gantumur
United States
Local time: 19:03
Member (2011)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
Bilingual review Mar 2, 2017

Trados has Export for bilingual review feature, which is under File actions under Review ribbon.

aruban
Taiwan
TOPIC STARTER
tks!! but how to do away the table and other stuff in the exported doc? Mar 2, 2017

Thank Lianne and Gan very much! Never knew that the function I looked for is also in Batch Tasks --> Export for External Review since I want to export it just for self editing purpose rather than third-party review.

But that comes another issue: The review doc file exported is in table format. Is it possible to export a .doc that contains SL and TL side by side ONLY, without putting them in a table, and also without the Segment ID and Segment status columns?

As I just mentioned, I need the inedited doc for further editing myself, not for exterior review, so the table and extra columns are really unsolicited for me.

Any idea? Tks~

Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:03
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Just delete and convert Mar 2, 2017

aruban wrote:

Thank Lianne and Gan very much! Never knew that the function I looked for is also in Batch Tasks --> Export for External Review since I want to export it just for self editing purpose rather than third-party review.

But that comes another issue: The review doc file exported is in table format. Is it possible to export a .doc that contains SL and TL side by side ONLY, without putting them in a table, and also without the Segment ID and Segment status columns?

As I just mentioned, I need the inedited doc for further editing myself, not for exterior review, so the table and extra columns are really unsolicited for me.

Any idea? Tks~

Just delete the extra table cells you don't need and then convert table into paragraphs.
Or
select the table cells you need and copy them to another file and then convert.

aruban
Taiwan
TOPIC STARTER
doc exported successfully~ Mar 2, 2017

I copied and pasted the selected columns to a blank doc by using Keep Text Only option in MS Word. And i did it!
(Previously i've to open a new excel file to respectively paste SL and TL texts into it, then copy both texts to a doc for post-editing)

Now the conversion is a snap for me. Big thanks to you guys!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to export/generate a bilingual .doc in Trados?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search