https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/312536-how_can_i_tell_studio_2017_that_an_xlsx_file_is_not_bilingual.html

How can I tell Studio 2017 that an xlsx file is NOT bilingual?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Mar 3, 2017

Dear colleagues,

I'm trying to open an xlsx file in Studio 2017. The file consists mainly of four columns, the first two being irrelevant for the translation, while columns three and four contain the source language text to be translated. Studio recognises this file as bilingual, which it isn't. The resulting SDLXLIFF is empty.

How can I make Studio use the regular xlsx file type?

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm trying to open an xlsx file in Studio 2017. The file consists mainly of four columns, the first two being irrelevant for the translation, while columns three and four contain the source language text to be translated. Studio recognises this file as bilingual, which it isn't. The resulting SDLXLIFF is empty.

How can I make Studio use the regular xlsx file type?

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

[Edited at 2017-03-03 11:06 GMT]
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:51
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Deselect the bilingual Excel file type Mar 3, 2017

You can either deselect the Bilingual Excel file type or move it so it will appear below the regular Excel file type, as Studio will use whichever file type appears first in the list.

If your file is being added to an existing project, go to Project Settings - File Types and uncheck the Bilingual Excel file type there. If you're creating a new project or opening the file as a single file to translate, you can make the change in Options - File Types.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
May I ask in this occasion... Mar 3, 2017

Hello Erik, hello Nora,
Please allow me to ask in this occasion how you would exclude specific columns from the import by using the 'normal' Excel File Type. I have been working for some time now with the Excel Bilingual file type where I can clearly define which columns are Source / Target, but I cannot do it in the 'normal' Excel file type (I didn't find anything in the options).

If I was in Erik's situation I would be forced to do one of these 2 options in order to avoid al
... See more
Hello Erik, hello Nora,
Please allow me to ask in this occasion how you would exclude specific columns from the import by using the 'normal' Excel File Type. I have been working for some time now with the Excel Bilingual file type where I can clearly define which columns are Source / Target, but I cannot do it in the 'normal' Excel file type (I didn't find anything in the options).

If I was in Erik's situation I would be forced to do one of these 2 options in order to avoid all irrelevant columns to be considered in the import:

- I Make a copy of my Excel, delete the columns that are irrelevant for translation and replace my translation at the end in the right column of my original
- I Use the Bilingual Excel anyway where I can define the columns to be source / target but after import I just delete all target text and do my translation

Although these 2 options will work fine, I feel these are not the optimal workflows, or are they?
Thanks very much to tell me if there is any possibility to exclude columns in the normal Excel file type !

Mike

[Edited at 2017-03-03 15:28 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 3, 2017

Thanks, Nora! I've done what you suggested, and after some fiddling (which seems to have been necessary because of my using a project template), I have been able to import the file correctly now.

Kind regards,
Erik

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Normal Excel will import all in the Excel sheet Mar 3, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

I am a little surprised that you expected to be able to indicate source-target in the normal Excel filter, as that's the case of the normal filter - the point is to import everything as text to be translated.

Now I have no experience on how to import Excel files, only Dejavu, but I would be surprised if Studio doesn't have a similar import option. In Dejavu you either hide all columns you don't want imported, or you mark the text as red. The you mark that hidden ot red text should be disregarded at import.

Surely Studio has some similar option?

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Text color Mar 3, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

Please allow me to ask in this occasion how you would exclude specific columns from the import by using the 'normal' Excel File Type.

Hi Mike,

You can exclude select text with the regular Excel file type if you apply a specific font color to the text and then indicate that you want to exclude it as shown here:

2017-03-03_102616

By the way, for anyone using Studio 2017, remember we now have a very helpful Preview option in the file types to see what effect a change in our settings will have on the actual file when imported into Studio.

Best,

Nora

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hidden columns and the New Excel file type Mar 3, 2017

Sorry, forgot to add that hiding columns in Excel also excludes them from import.

And then there's also the new Excel file type, Microsoft Excel 2007-2016 which has an "Exclusions" setting and it allows you to exclude text by column. You just specify the columns you want to exclude.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Thanks Nora! Mar 3, 2017

Thanks very much for the advices. That's how to do it in fact! I often have irrelevant text included in a Excel file - like in Erik's case - and I don't want to deal with it (and filter out with some difficulty) after import.

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-03-03 21:10 GMT]

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Glad it helped! Mar 3, 2017

Happy to help, Mike!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I tell Studio 2017 that an xlsx file is NOT bilingual?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »