SDL Trados Studio 2017 problem when exporting from TMs
Thread poster: WLS Translation
WLS Translation
United Kingdom
Mar 9

Hi all,

Hoping somebody can help. I've got a problem when exporting from TMs to send to my translators for use in a project, Studio 2017 seems to have a mind of his own and exports any random TM that I've had open that day, instead of the one I've opened in Studio and then clicked to Export. I can't seem to find a way around this so have just had to send the full TM to the recipient.

Anyone else had this problem and have a solution?

Many thanks,
Claire

Direct link Reply with quote

Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:11
Member (2014)
English to German
Copy Mar 9

Hi Claire,

I am not sure if I understood your question, but I would suggest to send the TM from the „Translation Memories“ folder (either in the "Studio 2017" or the project's folder).

HTH,

Silke

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:11
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Selecting the desired tm Mar 9

Can you describe more precisely what you are doing, esp. regarding selecting the tm you want to export?

You can export a tm from your project view. That only works with enabled tm's (after clicking the desired tm), otherwise the export options is grayed-out.

Alternatively, you can go to the tm view (tab all the way at the bottom left of interface). You can open a tm in the tm view, but that is not necessarily the tm that will be exported: L-click on the vertical bar (with the text "Translation Memories") above those tabs instead to expand that bar and see which tm's are listed there. R-click the listed tm you want to export, Alternatively, r-click on "Translation Memories" in the tree to select other actions.
Does this help?

[Edited at 2017-03-09 17:41 GMT]

WLS Translation
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados Studio 2017 problem when exporting from TMs - more info Mar 10

Good morning,

I have some very large TMs for clients which span back many years, and the project TM does not always include the most recent translations (approved terminology has changed over the years), so I prefer to send an export of the full TM to allow the translator to search it, rather than just sending the Project TM.

To export, I am simply opening the TM by using the Translation Memories tab, and then selecting the option to Export and save the .tmx in a folder. When I send that .tmx to my translator, it's regularly an export of the wrong TM - one I've had open for another purpose earlier that day, or even days before. I was stuck for days only being able to produce an English - Italian TM when I was trying to export for a 15 language project. In the end, I just had to send the full TMs which isn't ideal as they're large in size.

Thanks,
Claire

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:11
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Open TM navigation pane first Mar 10

WLS Translation wrote:

To export, I am simply opening the TM by using the Translation Memories tab, and then selecting the option to Export (...)

Hi Claire,

Please read my reply above carefully. You need to take an extra step to make sure you export the memory you want. You need to open the navigation pane for the Translation Memories first and then choose the tm you want to export from the list. Right-click it to find the export option.

Here's an image of the tm navigation pane:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1s1sc1mrufkmh4f/studioTMnavigationpane.png?dl=0

Let us know if that makes a difference.

[Edited at 2017-03-10 13:49 GMT]

WLS Translation
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
R.e. Open TM navigation pane first Mar 10

Thanks Lianne, I will try this next time and I'm sure it will solve my problem. Many thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 problem when exporting from TMs

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search