Translating an .srt with Trados and refining with Notepad++
Thread poster: Mario Budal

Mario Budal  Identity Verified
Israel
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Apr 4, 2017

How can I translate an .srt in Trados without showing all the {\an2} symbols?

How can I open the resulting translated .srt in Notepad without having all the " {\a n2}" and " < b>< i>" symbols displayed? I want to check the wordcount for each line and these symbols just disrupt that process.
I did implement a SubRip max 42 character per line file rule in Trados, but I'd still like to check everything in Notepad++, I know it's possible.

I did this about half a year ago for another client and project, and for some reason I found all the answers I needed by googling the issues back then, but now I've spent about half a day without any progress on the matter. Can't find anything helpful through google this time.

Also, while I'm playing the translated .srt in VLC (along with the provided movie), the timing looks off. I don't know how that happened. Could it be a frame rate setting thing?

[Edited at 2017-04-04 10:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-04 10:20 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating an .srt with Trados and refining with Notepad++

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search