How can I hide the data that appears in a box on the editor screen?
Thread poster: Kaori Kawakami

Kaori Kawakami  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:29
Member (2015)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Apr 5

Hello colleagues,

I have been so annoyed with the box with the translation details (status, date, score, etc.) (why SDL even thought it necessary) that appears when a mouse hovers near the right edge of the target segments.

If anyone knows how to hide it, please let me know. I am so fed up with it!

Untitled

Thank you.

Kaori

[Edited at 2017-04-05 20:47 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:29
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
You can't Apr 5

https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/6732

I know this is not the right question, but what happens that it is in the way so often? It does happen to me occasionally, and I find it slightly annoying, but also fairly easy to prevent.

I had a major problem with the taskbar in windows doing this however, but I was able to solve that by installing the 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.
I agree that ideally these things should be customizable.

If you are into registry editing, maybe this works (I have not tried this myself and the video does not show the results):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXs7Zkwgl8Q

(I used to change the color of tooltips in previous windows versions, but I have not gone out of my way to find out how to do this in 10)

Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 23:29
Member (2005)
English to German
Maybe find a workaround? Apr 6

Lianne van de Ven wrote:
I know this is not the right question, but what happens that it is in the way so often?

Lianne, I see why you are asking this. I do as much as I can with keyboard shortcuts, including moving to the next segment, so I kind of push the mouse pointer out of the way once and then happily translate lots of segments without touching it again. It hardly ever gets to the middle of the screen (I sometimes get an annoying pop-up from a tag, but I usually just go on typing anyway and read that text later when I'm in the next segment and the pop-up is gone - can't be bothered to place my hand on the mouse to shoo away the pop-up).

So maybe a change of workflow can help, Kaori? (Sorry, this sounds like I'm being a smartass, but it's early in the day and I can't think of a wording that doesn't)

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:29
English to Russian
Agree with Kaori san Apr 6

I don't use my mouse that often either, but I work with highlighted text. This requires using the mouse (to apply source format to target), and the described behavior may be quite annoying. I wish I could remove it somehow.
The same applies to the Document Structure Information: if, by chance, you release the left mouse button over the Document Structure Information pane when selecting any target text, a window opens that I would hardly ever need. And I have to close it each time.
The same story with the Advanced Display Filter pane that pops up when scrolling the list of terms next to it without any button to minimize it — it only disappears when you move the mouse away.

[Edited at 2017-04-06 10:13 GMT]

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:29
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Hide document structure/suggestions for improvement Apr 6

Stepan Konev wrote:
The same applies to the Document Structure Information: if, by chance, you release the left mouse button over the Document Structure Information pane when selecting any target text, a window opens that I would hardly ever need. And I have to close it each time.

The column for document structure can be hidden. I never use it anyway. That way you will never have any tooltips either:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Setting_Preferences/Display/Editor/Pref_EV_Show_Hide_Document_Structure_Information_Column.htm

Stepan Konev wrote:
The same story with the Advanced Display Filter pane that pops up when scrolling the list of terms next to it without any button to minimize it — it only disappears when you move the mouse away.

[Edited at 2017-04-06 10:13 GMT]

The tab for the Advanced Display Filter (in Studio 2017 only) can be placed at various locations. It does slide out frequently for me too - I have it in the upper right on the side (the default location, I think). But I moved my Term Recognition pane (vertically) inbetween the editor and translation results panes (almost full length), so the Filter is mostly out of the way.

The tooltips don't go away by clicking on the Esc key as they do in other programs, so that could be an improvement.
You can make suggestions for improvement to SDL here:
https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/translation-productivity-ideas/

[Edited at 2017-04-06 12:31 GMT]

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:29
English to Russian
As easy as genius Apr 6

Lianne van de Ven,
Great! I removed the document structure information pane following your instruction and I will try your other tips.
Thank you so much!

[Edited at 2017-04-06 13:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I hide the data that appears in a box on the editor screen?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search