Line break segmentation rule in Studio 2017
Thread poster: Roberta Beyer

Roberta Beyer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:59
Member (2011)
French to English
Apr 6, 2017

I'm sorry, I feel like this question must have been asked and answered 8,000 times, but no matter what responses I read and try, I can't make it work.

I am translating a play from a word document. It doesn't have any punctuation and is mostly soft returns. In Studio, no matter what segmentation rules I try to make, it always ends up with huge swaths of text in each segment instead of each line being a different segment.

Why is this so difficult?? I am losing my mind. Please help.

rgwg8f0ewbz6lsskqbnl.jpg

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:59
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Why not prepare the Word document before import into Studio? Apr 7, 2017

I am not sure how to fix your issue inside Studio, but what I would do here, would be to replace the line breaks (^l) with the paragraph sign (^p) before importing it into Studio.

Afterwards I would, of course, replace the paragraph characters (^p) with line breaks (^l).

But I agree, it would in some instances be more elegant if Studio took care of it directly.

Incidentally I have searched in the Help, and it doesn't seem to be much help on the issue at all. I suspect SDL hasn't updated it so that it covers the newer versions of Studio. I hope they will fix that.

Roy

NeoAtlas
Spain
Local time: 08:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nora's blog Apr 7, 2017

You have the answer in this post:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com.es/2014/01/adding-soft-return-segmentation-rule-to.html

Regards,

… Jesús Prieto …

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Line break segmentation rule in Studio 2017

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search