Submission of TM to client-Trados 6.5 Freelance
Thread poster: Carline Dumoulin
Carline Dumoulin
United States
Local time: 07:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2005

I would like to know from those of you who have been using this software how you normally proceed when you submit the TM to your clients. I have been told that some of our colleagues charge the client if they are asked to submit a newly created TM done from scratch by them.
Is that the norm? If so, how do you determine the rates?
How about if the client sends you a partial TM that you end up updating? Do you also charge?
Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

CF

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:02
German to English
+ ...
Submission of TM to client Apr 16, 2005

I use OmegaT rather than Trados, but the principles are the same.

I charge a flat-rate fee in the order of 30 euros for a translation memory. The memory contains no information that is not already contained in the translation and source text. As such, I do not consider myself to be delivering anything in the way of intellectual property that has not already been delivered in the form of the translation.

The customer could create his own memory from those if he chose to do so. By supplying a memory, I am simply saving him the time and effort of doing so, and my charge represents a handling fee which reflects the effort on my part.

I supply memories in TMX format, which can be read by all of the main translation memory applications. This is useful to know if you are working with people who do not have Trados. Here is the procedure for producing a TMX file in Trados:

File - Export. Click "OK" in the next window without adding or changing anything. Then specify the folder and name for the export file to be saved and chose "tmx" under "file type".

This is for the benefit of all those Trados users who are unaware of this function or of the TMX industry standard.

Marc

vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:02
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Client can create TM from uncleaned files Apr 16, 2005

If you send the uncleaned file(s), your clients can create the TM themselves. No need to charge extra for that.

Carline Dumoulin
United States
Local time: 07:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sending TM to the client Apr 16, 2005

Thank you to both of you Vixen and Marc.

Your reply was very helpful.

CF

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Submission of TM to client-Trados 6.5 Freelance

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search