Apr 7, 2017

Can Studio 2009 work with PDF files?

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:48
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes and no Apr 7, 2017

Yes, all versions of Studio can import PDF files, but there are things to consider:
- the import will NOT be correct. Many features will display incorrectly or be discarded completely (text boxes, callouts, images, columns...)
- the export will be MS Word, NOT pdf.
Later versions of Studio do increasingly better, but none can compare with dedicated professional tools like ABBYY Finereader.

On another note, if you're still working with version 2009, I suggest you upgrade ASAP to the current version (2017). You are really selling yourself short, as Studio has improved immensely since 2009. Believe me, you'll love it. Worth every penny.

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 02:48
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 7, 2017

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Yes, all versions of Studio can import PDF files, but there are things to consider:
- the import will NOT be correct. Many features will display incorrectly or be discarded completely (text boxes, callouts, images, columns...)
- the export will be MS Word, NOT pdf.
Later versions of Studio do increasingly better, but none can compare with dedicated professional tools like ABBYY Finereader.

On another note, if you're still working with version 2009, I suggest you upgrade ASAP to the current version (2017). You are really selling yourself short, as Studio has improved immensely since 2009. Believe me, you'll love it. Worth every penny.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Editable PDFs in Studio 2009 Apr 8, 2017

Levan Namoradze wrote:

Yes, but only editable PDFs, not scanned ones.

See this version comparison:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/10/10/studio-features-by-version/
to check when PDF file support came in, and (as Jan says) see all the features you are missing in Studio 2009.

[Edited after reading Ben's post]

[Edited at 2017-04-08 16:44 GMT]

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
See this... Apr 8, 2017

Here's a blog post about how to deal with PDF in Studio:

http://blog.translationzone.com/translate-pdf-sdl-trados-studio/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=Translators%20Talk%20Trados&utm_content=PDF%20Blog

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Not really helpful to OP Apr 8, 2017

But that's a link to Emma's blog and it deals with Studio 2017.

The OP asked about working with PDF files in Studio 2009, so the link doesn't offer a lot of help.

Checking my Studio 2009 I see that there is PDF support, but as Emma said the support in Studio 2017 is much better.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason:

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
I stand corrected! Apr 8, 2017

Ben Senior wrote:

Checking my Studio 2009 I see that there is PDF support

Thanks for checking, Ben. I've just corrected my post above and also the blog post I linked to.

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
You're welcome Emma Apr 8, 2017

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Ben Senior wrote:

Checking my Studio 2009 I see that there is PDF support

Thanks for checking, Ben. I've just corrected my post above and also the blog post I linked to.

I seem to have a vague memory of trying out the PDF file type in Studio 2009, and not being very much impressed with it then. I just had to check for my own piece of mind.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search