Tag soup with ODT/DOC file, upper case is "all-caps"
Thread poster: Sarah Gregg
Sarah Gregg
Sarah Gregg  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:02
Italian to English
Apr 14, 2017

Hello everyone. I've just received a long odt file to translate with SDL Trados 2017. When I import it into Trados, I find that every capital letter, including at the start of every sentence, has an "all-caps" tag, which makes the whole thing a delirium as it is FULL of proper names. I've tried saving it in various versions of Word etc, but nothing makes any difference. Deleting all formatting and saving as txt would be a big problem as it is also full of italic and bold text. Short of going thr... See more
Hello everyone. I've just received a long odt file to translate with SDL Trados 2017. When I import it into Trados, I find that every capital letter, including at the start of every sentence, has an "all-caps" tag, which makes the whole thing a delirium as it is FULL of proper names. I've tried saving it in various versions of Word etc, but nothing makes any difference. Deleting all formatting and saving as txt would be a big problem as it is also full of italic and bold text. Short of going through every capital letter and reformatting it, I just don't know what to do. Can anyone help?Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:02
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Codezapper Apr 14, 2017

Try (buy for a small fee) a word addon called Codezapper. It will not damage the word file but remove redundant code. I always use it.

Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
English to German
RTF? Apr 14, 2017

I think there is an option in Studio to import RTFs converted from PDFs, which removes superfluous formatting tags. Perhaps also you all caps tags?

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:02
German to Turkish
+ ...
Try a different font Apr 14, 2017

It works with xliff files derived from powerpoint files.

If you have only one type of fonts (e.g. all Arial), you can change the font of the entire text into another font like TNR and then change it back to the original font. It saved me a lot of time with the ppt, pptx files.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:02
German to Turkish
+ ...
This is news for me. Apr 14, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

Try (buy for a small fee) a word addon called Codezapper. It will not damage the word file but remove redundant code. I always use it.

I will learn more about this.
Thank you.

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 12:02
English to Russian
Use Document Cleaner Apr 14, 2017

Hello Elif,

You should try Document Cleaner (http://www.translatortools.net/word-doccleaner.html), a free tool for preparation of badly formatted Word documents. Cleaning tags from Word documents is very easy: open the document, activate Document Cleaner from the ribbon, and click Clean Tags button under Tag Cleaner tab. Document Cleaner is part of TransTools for Word ad
... See more
Hello Elif,

You should try Document Cleaner (http://www.translatortools.net/word-doccleaner.html), a free tool for preparation of badly formatted Word documents. Cleaning tags from Word documents is very easy: open the document, activate Document Cleaner from the ribbon, and click Clean Tags button under Tag Cleaner tab. Document Cleaner is part of TransTools for Word add-in (http://www.translatortools.net/word-about.html) which integrates into Microsoft Word.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

Sarah Gregg
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for suggestions Apr 14, 2017

Thanks for all your suggestions. Tomorrow I'll give them a try and let you know how I get on.

Sarah Gregg
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved Apr 15, 2017

I think best at 5.00 in the morning and I resolved the problem in a flash, with the most obvious solution possible. In Word, I simply used the find and replace formatting function to change all the "all-caps" to normal upper case text. Worked perfectly! I've also downloaded TransTools and will be giving it a try when I have a quiet moment, looks really great. Thanks again to you all for your suggestions and have a great Easter (mine will be spent diligently at work).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag soup with ODT/DOC file, upper case is "all-caps"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »