Error: Failed to retrieve tag toolbar settings for plugin file format: no matching filter definition
Thread poster: Claudia Mattaliano
Claudia Mattaliano
Claudia Mattaliano  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:09
German to Italian
+ ...
Apr 17, 2005

Good morning,

I need your help! On Friday I received a big translation from an agency and I have to work with Trados (TRADOS Translator's Workbench 6.5.1.406 - Build 406). The problem is that I have 7 files converted from PDF-format into TagEditor-compatible-format and everytime I try to open one, the following message appears:

"Failed to retrieve tag toolbar settings for plugin file format: no matching filter definition found!"

I close this message and get
... See more
Good morning,

I need your help! On Friday I received a big translation from an agency and I have to work with Trados (TRADOS Translator's Workbench 6.5.1.406 - Build 406). The problem is that I have 7 files converted from PDF-format into TagEditor-compatible-format and everytime I try to open one, the following message appears:

"Failed to retrieve tag toolbar settings for plugin file format: no matching filter definition found!"

I close this message and get a second one.

"No filter definition found!"

Then the file opens. But as soon as I try to open a segment, the same message comes over and over again: "No filter definition found!".

What do I have to do?

Thanks for your help!!
Claudia

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-04-17 09:12]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What's the source format? Apr 17, 2005

Hi Claudia,

On Friday I received a big translation from an agency and I have to work with Trados (TRADOS Translator's Workbench 6.5.1.406 - Build 406).

Are you aware that build 406 is an outdated version (which also contained quite a few bugs)? The latest version available is 6.5.5.441.

The problem is that I have 7 files converted from PDF-format into TagEditor-compatible-format

Are you sure about PDF (to the best of my knowledge, it's impossible to work on PDFs using TagEditor)? What is the source format of the files provided?

Is there an error number?

Best regards, Ralf

Claudia Mattaliano
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Ralf! Apr 17, 2005

Thanks for your reply

Are you aware that build 406 is an outdated version (which also contained quite a few bugs)? The latest version available is 6.5.5.441.

No, I didn't know... I will get the latest version as soon as I can, but at the moment I have to use this one

Are you sure about PDF (to the best of my knowledge, it's impossible to work on PDFs using TagEditor)? What is the source format of the files provided?

They have sent me 7 TRADOStag documents (rtf) and 3 PDF files as reference, but I'm not sure whether they have been converted from PDF into rtf. If you say it's impossible, then the source files are probably different, but I don't know what they are

Is there an error number?

No error number in the workbench...

Can you help me?!?

Thank you very much!
Claudia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Difficult without more info... Apr 17, 2005

Hi again,
They have sent me 7 TRADOStag documents (rtf) and 3 PDF files as reference, but I'm not sure whether they have been converted from PDF into rtf. If you say it's impossible, then the source files are probably different, but I don't know what they are

This information should be provided to you when delivering the files. Were you explicitly instructed to use TagEditor?

Can you see a reference to the source application in the PDF file (File - Document Properties)?

Best regards,
Ralf

Claudia Mattaliano
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi again! Apr 17, 2005

Hi again,

Were you explicitly instructed to use TagEditor?

The files are "TRADOStag documents" and when I open them, they are automatically displayed with the layout used in TagEditor.

[quote]Can you see a reference to the source application in the PDF file (File - Document Properties)?[quote]

I don't know what you mean... I can see "FrameMaker 7.0" and "Acrobat Distiller 5.0" - Version PDF: 1,4 (Acrobat 5,x). Is this what you need to know?

Thank you so much for your help!

Claudia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
FrameMaker is the key... Apr 17, 2005

Hi...
[quote][quote]Can you see a reference to the source application in the PDF file (File - Document Properties)?

I don't know what you mean... I can see "FrameMaker 7.0" and "Acrobat Distiller 5.0" - Version PDF: 1,4 (Acrobat 5,x). Is this what you need to know?

Not me, but at least we now know that the files you're working on are converted FrameMaker files. I don't work with FM or the associated filter packs myself, but perhaps those who do can help you.

Best regards,
Ralf

Claudia Mattaliano
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How stupid! Apr 17, 2005

Ralf,

I have just noticed that the files I am not able to use TagEditor on are .xls files. They appear as TRADOStag Documents, but their names are blablabla.xls. I suppose they have been converted from xls.

Is this information of any help?

Thanks again!
Claudia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends on your customer's Trados version Apr 17, 2005

Hi Claudia,
I have just noticed that the files I am not able to use TagEditor on are .xls files. They appear as TRADOStag Documents, but their names are blablabla.xls. I suppose they have been converted from xls.

Which would make sense, as TagEditor is generally able to handle Excel files. However, there was a change in the Excel/PowerPoint filters in build 438/439 - as a result, earlier versions may be unable to read the corresponding TTX files. See Trados KB article 1401 for details. (Caution: Do not apply this patch to 6.5.1.406!)

IIRC you will need to contact Trados for the upgrade to 6.5.5.

Best regards,
Ralf

Claudia Mattaliano
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok Ralf! Apr 17, 2005

Thank you very much for your support!

Have a nice sunday!
Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: Failed to retrieve tag toolbar settings for plugin file format: no matching filter definition

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »