Maxime Bujakov  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:56
French to English
+ ...
May 7, 2017

Hello!
Please help with 2 issues:
1 - when translating "km" to English I have to add the value in miles (eg. 60 miles (100 km)), and Trados flags the translation as having an 'extra placeable' - how do I make it ignore this?

2 - and more important, but not Trados-related - when translating (localizing) "change oil every 3000 km", obviously I should not write "1864 miles". As an engineer I understand that I need to round to the same number of significant digits. But in this example some zeros are significant, and some are not. Somehow, I feel that 2 digits are ok, i.e. "change oil every 1800 miles (3000 km)". (If it said "change oil every 2400 km" then it would certainly be 2 digits.) Don't think 1860 miles would be appropriate.

Could someone suggest the formal name of this units conversion rule in localization application and where I can look for the guidelines?

Thank you![Edited at 2017-05-07 20:48 GMT]

UPD: https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pml/wmd/metric/SP1038.pdf

[Edited at 2017-05-08 04:16 GMT]

Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:56
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Project settings May 8, 2017

Maxime Bujakov wrote:

Hello!
Please help with 2 issues:
1 - when translating "km" to English I have to add the value in miles (eg. 60 miles (100 km)), and Trados flags the translation as having an 'extra placeable' - how do I make it ignore this?

2 - and more important, but not Trados-related - when translating (localizing) "change oil every 3000 km", obviously I should not write "1864 miles". As an engineer I understand that I need to round to the same number of significant digits. But in this example some zeros are significant, and some are not. Somehow, I feel that 2 digits are ok, i.e. "change oil every 1800 miles (3000 km)". (If it said "change oil every 2400 km" then it would certainly be 2 digits.) Don't think 1860 miles would be appropriate.

Could someone suggest the formal name of this units conversion rule in localization application and where I can look for the guidelines?

Thank you![Edited at 2017-05-07 20:48 GMT]

UPD: https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pml/wmd/metric/SP1038.pdf

[Edited at 2017-05-08 04:16 GMT]

1. If I remember it right. It should be set up in Project Settings - Verification - Quality Checker - Punctuation (or Numbers) to fix this problem in Trado Studio 2015.
2. "km" is internationally recognized. Why don't you just keep the "km"?

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 13:56
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Perhaps the client demands it? May 8, 2017

eradicate wrote:
2. "km" is internationally recognized. Why don't you just keep the "km"?

If the user of the car has set up the speedometer with miles instead of kilometer, for instance in Britain or especially in the US, then it will work better to include miles, so this would depend a lot on who the target audience is.

I find, for instance, that certain clients use BTUs in the documents , even though they most of the time include Celsius besides Fahrenheit, apparently in the belief that BTU is used outside the English speaking world, which it is not, of course. I then habitually convert this to kWh or even TWh, depending on what order we are talking about here.

I regretably do not know where to find the conversion rules in the guidelines, but the conversion would probably be called "significant numbers".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

localization of km to miles

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search