Another case of excess tags!
Thread poster: Beth Skinner
Beth Skinner
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
German to English
May 9

Hello,

I have just been reading lots of old threads and blog posts of "Tag Soups" but unfortunately none of the answers really apply to my problem. I receive packages in Trados 2015 so unfortunately can't clean up the source files in Word etc. I am not sure of the original format of the files but I have already asked the agency a few times if all the excess tags can be removed but apparently their client can't see the tags and doesn't really understand what they are!
Basically my question is:
If all the tags are exactly the same (e.g. Times New Roman, 11 pt), do I really need to copy over all the tags from the source into my target segment? The way I see it, all the tags have exactly the same effect on the text so surely I can use just one pair instead of 5!
Thanks,
Beth

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:17
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
No May 9

Beth Skinner wrote:

Basically my question is:
If all the tags are exactly the same (e.g. Times New Roman, 11 pt), do I really need to copy over all the tags from the source into my target segment? The way I see it, all the tags have exactly the same effect on the text so surely I can use just one pair instead of 5!
Thanks,
Beth

No, you don't have to copy them all over, as long as you have a matching opening and closing tag pair in the target segment. However, you must check that all tags you leave behind are identical.
Save the target file (Shift F12) from time to time, to check you're not omitting important tags. And if you have access to the realtime preview, you can see if all the formatting looks OK in the target file as you translate.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another case of excess tags!

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search