Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 20, 2005

I posted this query the other day but it slid off teh page with no solutions offered, so here we go again....:-)

Windows XP
Trados 6
Word 2000

My computer jammed, when working in Word with Trados. I closed down and started up again, knowing I would have to retranslate, but counting on having everything in the trans memory. I found that about 2 pages had NOT been saved in the memory.

This happened a couple of times. Occasionally I couldn't procee
... See more
I posted this query the other day but it slid off teh page with no solutions offered, so here we go again....:-)

Windows XP
Trados 6
Word 2000

My computer jammed, when working in Word with Trados. I closed down and started up again, knowing I would have to retranslate, but counting on having everything in the trans memory. I found that about 2 pages had NOT been saved in the memory.

This happened a couple of times. Occasionally I couldn't proceed with a segment. I got a code number for an error, which I can't remember now, but it wasn't listed in the Trados help file. I finished the translation using oh-so-user-friendly WordFast, as I was getting desperate. In a trial run (with the WordFast BAK), just now, I got the same error message, but opening and closing a few segments seemed to sort it. Since the problem seems to have resolved itself, I cannot obtain the error message again, however.

The only way I could unjam the computer was closing down every time. Each time I was informed that "ISTsvcWND" had to close (if that means anything to anyone). And when I started up Trados again, it always opened in the memory I had been using in the previous job, i.e. a different memory.

This has been happening fairly consistently for the last three days. For example, after the computer was on standby for a whil, I went back to work, tried to open Trados, no response, had to shut down and got the "ISTsvcWND" message. Trados opened OK after this step, but it's requiring my shutting down all the time.

I got a new computer 4 weeks ago, and I have had a series of problems of this kind (jammed texts, and being forced to escape since 'XXX has detected an error and must close'):

first with Word
then with WinAlign
now with Trados

Is it my new computer? Should I return it to the shop?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Spyware? Apr 20, 2005

Hi Ailish,
Having run a search for "ISTsvcWND", I came across a discussion where this was mentioned in connection with spyware attacks. Is your computer properly protected?

Following up from that discussion, I searched for "ISTsvc", and found this:

istsvc - istsvc.exe - Process Information
Process File: istsvc or istsvc.exe
Process Name: IST Service Spyware

Description:
istsvc.exe is an advertising program by Integrated Search Technologies. This process monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to the author's servers for analyses. This also prompts advertising popups. This program is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. Please see additional details regarding this process

Somehow I get the impression that your problems aren't related to Trados...

Best regards,
Ralf

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
further info Apr 20, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Ailish,
Having run a search for "ISTsvcWND", I came across a discussion where this was mentioned in connection with spyware attacks. Is your computer properly protected?

Following up from that discussion, I searched for "ISTsvc", and found this:

istsvc - istsvc.exe - Process Information
Process File: istsvc or istsvc.exe
Process Name: IST Service Spyware

Description:
istsvc.exe is an advertising program by Integrated Search Technologies. This process monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to the author's servers for analyses. This also prompts advertising popups. This program is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. Please see additional details regarding this process

Somehow I get the impression that your problems aren't related to Trados...

Best regards,
Ralf

Thanks for teh lead Ralf. I'll investigate (just to say in relation to what you said that a few odd things are happening, e.g. I discovered in my 'Favouraites' a number of folders created that I HADN'T created myself, I also get a lot of pop-ups, sometjhing I never got on my old computer, e.g. I did a search for 'ratzinger' and immediately got a pop-up for a site selling T-shirst with his name on!)

Other info in relaion to teh problem: I also get the message "TWIN4.exe has deteced a problem and has to shut down", and when I re-open the jammed text, I usually find a set of these brackets: {}

I have just checked out your leads Ralf, and see that I am being spied on.

Next question, any recommeded freeware for resolving teh problem?

[Edited at 2005-04-20 18:47]

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a million Ralf Apr 20, 2005

Thanks for the lead, i followed up your info/link, and have applied possible solutions.

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9739

You are a terrific moderator, not only are you always there RAPID(!), you always seem to have an answer:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

error "ISTsvcWND"

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »