Avoid auto-propagation for one segment
Thread poster: Serena Marangoni

Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:20
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 30

I have some segments which are exactly the same in the original language but need to be translated differently in the target language. I work with auto-propagate set to confirm automatically (because this file has thousands of repetitions and I want to speed up the process), and to propagate to confirmed segments because if I make a correction on one I want it to transfer to all others.
What's the best way to handle the problem of segments that are the same in source but have to be translated differently?

I'm doing this during revision (turning auto-propagate off) but there must be a faster/better way.

Edit: I've already added the two versions to the TM with ctrl+shift+U, but when I choose one it still autopropagates to all segments, including the previous ones.

[Modificato alle 2017-06-30 16:12 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:20
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
Move forward Jun 30

Serena Marangoni wrote:

I have some segments which are exactly the same in the original language but need to be translated differently in the target language. I work with auto-propagate set to confirm automatically (because this file has thousands of repetitions and I want to speed up the process), and to propagate to confirmed segments because if I make a correction on one I want it to transfer to all others.
What's the best way to handle the problem of segments that are the same in source but have to be translated differently?

I'm doing this during revision (turning auto-propagate off) but there must be a faster/better way.


What I'd do is simply move forward and translate each segment as needed. If propagation is set to 'only forward', then I see no problem with that. Additionally, you could also lock those segments (as you go or all together once done) to avoid unintentional changes being propagated.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:20
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I'd have to go back and forth to make corrections to segments that have already been translated. Jun 30

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

What I'd do is simply move forward and translate each segment as needed. If propagation is set to 'only forward', then I see no problem with that. Additionally, you could also lock those segments (as you go or all together once done) to avoid unintentional changes being propagated.


That's what I've been doing, but with this file I often find mistakes as I'm going along (or find a better way to say something after I've translated a different article) then if I make a change to another segment, I want all the others to change as well - yet, there are so many repetitions that it's hard to find the first occurrence.

Basically what I'm looking for, is the possibility to exclude just a few segments from autopropagation. I thought it would have been what 'add as new translation' was for but that only gives me two choices to choose from, and when I apply one it still propagates to all segments.

It's a fairly common occurrence with languages that have grammatical gender, such as Italian, so I thought I was missing something.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:20
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
I see Jun 30

Serena Marangoni wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

What I'd do is simply move forward and translate each segment as needed. If propagation is set to 'only forward', then I see no problem with that. Additionally, you could also lock those segments (as you go or all together once done) to avoid unintentional changes being propagated.


That's what I've been doing, but with this file I often find mistakes as I'm going along (or find a better way to say something after I've translated a different article) then if I make a change to another segment, I want all the others to change as well - yet, there are so many repetitions that it's hard to find the first occurrence.

Basically what I'm looking for, is the possibility to exclude just a few segments from autopropagation. I thought it would have been what 'add as new translation' was for but that only gives me two choices to choose from, and when I apply one it still propagates to all segments.

It's a fairly common occurrence with languages that have grammatical gender, such as Italian, so I thought I was missing something.


Based on the title of this thread, "Avoid auto-propagation for one segment" I thought the problem was with a specific segment which needed different translations throughout the document.

I'm not aware of a function that does what you suggest (turn off autopropagation for some segments), but even if there was, you would still have to manually modify every relevant occurrence (backward and forward) every time you made a change to one of those segments...

However, by reading this: "if I make a change to another segment, I want all the others to change as well - yet, there are so many repetitions that it's hard to find the first occurrence. Basically what I'm looking for, is the possibility to exclude just a few segments from autopropagation", it seems to be you could lock the segments you don't want to be affected by autopropagation and just "find" the first occurrence of a given segment in the file before modifying it (or set propagation in both directions). But that would still involve quite a bit of manual work in finding and locking the segments that should remain unaffected, especially if we're talking about huge files, otherwise that could be feasible even during final reread (especially just inserting the 'correct version' from TM).

Maybe you could try working with filters, filtering certain versions of a target segment and only working on them, then switching to the other version(s). Not sure autopropagation works with filtered views, though...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

NeoAtlas
Spain
Local time: 06:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't confirm the segment… Jul 1

Don't confirm the segment you don't want to propagate.

Just select the translation you wish (segment still in Draft mode) and set the segment as approved (right click on the segment number on the left column and select Change segment status > Translation approved). This way, you won't propagate that particular segment.

I hope this helps,

… Jesús Prieto …


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Avoid auto-propagation for one segment

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search