Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Trados 7 upgrade from 6.5 worth the expense?
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:06
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
sigh - finally ..."east European chars in 'German' sentences" May 6, 2005

DSC wrote:
- better unicode support (east European chars in "German" sentences)
- better unicode support overall

This alone will make it worth for me - one practical result of European Union east extension;P

smo

Mari Noller
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
English to Norwegian
+ ...
In my opinion.. May 22, 2005

Upgrading to 7.0 is not something I'm going to do anytime soon. This is simply because I've already been asked not to do so by some of my regular clients as they haven't updated their system.
I don't get why, as I always want to keep my software up to date, but if updating to 7.0 is going cause problems, then it's just not worth it.

I'm using 6.5 and have had to turn down jobs for Trados 5.0 because some agencies haven't upgraded their systems yet.

My personal opinion is that Trados is crap. And too expensive.
I'm a programmer myself and I have never seen such a poor program for such a large amount of money.
Plus you have to pay to upgrade your software. Not even Microsoft is that bad.

I've had the same problem as another user described here, deleting a bit too much and before you know it Trados has ruined the document. Another thing is the copy/paste option in Trados.

Anyway, I won't update to 7.0 just yet. Give it a while to see if my clients upgrade their systems first.

ABOVE
English to Polish
+ ...
6.x for "5.x clients" May 23, 2005

[quote]dinamin wrote:

Upgrading to 7.0 is not something I'm going to do anytime soon. This is simply because I've already been asked not to do so by some of my regular clients as they haven't updated their system.

Ryszard:

Weird. 6.x is downwards compatible with lower versions (we've been using Trados since 3.0), that is you can deliver files which can be opened with 5.x and even 3.x. The agencies may not know what they are demanding or doing, simply - we have to say "yessir" and do our stuff. What they want is a deliverable, how we do it is our business.

Right now I am running an hour's long macro job on a file which was pretranslated by an overhelpful client, so as to restore the source segments. It happens every now and then that they do not know what needs to be done, deliver PDFs instead of Quarks, XLIFFs instead of source HTMLs, disjointed strings instead of a full database, and we fix the botched jobs for them, sometimes without even telling them about it...

Best regards

Ryszard

Stefan Haftka
English to German
One license per network issue — Trados refuses to answer Jun 20, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And as you are surely not the only one in such situation, please post any news about this for "the future generations"

Thank you
Jerzy

I just came across the same problem: We are two freelancers working independently but in the same room and connected to a LAN for Internet and printer access. We've been working with TRADOS FL for ages, and now decided to upgrade to v7 (unfortunately without reading the One license per LAN note, though). Now, one of us has to cut off his/her connection to the network when both of us have to work with Trados 6.5 at the same time (not sharing a TM).
We've called Michele Tedesco at TRADOS Stuttgart who said we were the first ones to complain. All he could do was to give us the email address of TRADOS's Vice President for Sales etc. We've send him a mail, but he hasn't answered for a week or so now.
I'm quite upset about this licensing behaviour. On the other hand it's in line with what TRADOS has done to make its (expensive) product user-friendly in the past — next to nothing...
Is there anyone who knows how to get out of this network trap without buying LSP versions?

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Same experiences then... Jun 20, 2005

Tisens wrote:

We've called Michele Tedesco at TRADOS Stuttgart who said we were the first ones to complain.

This is really great! Reminds me of the big German ISP: If their mail servers crash, you will always be *the first one* to report the problem. And as you might have read in this topic, I did contact Trados twice some time ago. I didn't *complain*, though, I politely asked for a statement, so that might be classified in a different category than your call

Let's hope that SDL will address the LAN licences issue once the merger is complete...

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SDL, TRADOS ... what's the difference (g) Jun 20, 2005

mail from Mike Kidd@trados.com

TRADOS NEWS FLASH: TRADOS and SDL Join Forces, TRADOS 7 Releases Today!

Dear Language Professional:

I am very pleased to announce two exciting and monumental milestones for TRADOS, our industry and for you:

SDL and TRADOS join forces - More Focus on You
TRADOS has now become part of SDL International, forming one company with strong focus to better meet your needs as professional translators. The new company's commitments to you include:

Dedicating our combined world class resources to deliver more frequent software innovations, thereby making your work easier and more productive
Supporting the current versions of both SDLX 2005 and TRADOS 7 until 2010
Providing clear and comfortable upgrade paths to next generation software
Delivering ground-breaking, quality customer service and support

etc etc

----------------

btw from the "been there done that" department: I have already ordered an early bird upgrade to #7 at 170€ and change.

Whoever does not intend to ("not worth it" or similar opinions), has not gotten his money worth out of software so far anyhow and - guess what - will not in the future. Or ever.

[Edited at 2005-06-20 21:21]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I contacted Trados... Jun 24, 2005

...and Mike Kidd is looking into the case.

Best regards,
Ralf

Peter WILHELM  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Long look Jul 9, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

...and Mike Kidd is looking into the case.

Best regards,
Ralf

Hello Ralf

Is it possible that you did not get any reply yet. It seems that this question is important for many of us.

BR Peter

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Tisens was contacted directly... Jul 9, 2005

...a couple of weeks ago already.

I suggest to contact Trados Support in case of any network issues.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jeremy Amos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
German to English
The network problem and a partial workaround Aug 17, 2005

Has anyone any further information on this?

My 2p worth:
I am in exactly the same situation as Stefan, I share an office and, before I bought Trados 7, a network with a colleague who has a separately licensed version of Trados freelance 7. We do not share TMs or termbases, as we translate different language pairs.
We found out about this restriction the hard way and also await a response from Trados.

Our partial workaround is to configure our computers to be in separate workgroups, meaning we are still able to share a DSL router, but do not have access to each other's computers and only one of us can have easy access to a third machine we have on the network for making quick backups.

I agree wholeheartedly with Mari, I am also an ex-programmer, and it is abundantly clear that Trados spends everything on marketing and nothing on development.
In an ideal world the crapness of their product would put them out of business, but unfortunately, they dominate the market, so it is necessary, if working with agencies, to work with their products or a 100% compatible product. Does anyone know of a 100% compatible product? Does wordfast do the job?

On the plus side ( ) the ability to reference multiple termbases simultaneously is a huge boon. I always found it incomprehensible that they could get away with not having it in previous versions, but am grateful that it's there now.

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Multiple TM's and other issues Aug 18, 2005

One feature that I still don't find in the new description is the ability to have several Translation Memories open in Workbench at the same time. The best that can be done is to have a reference TM under Translation Memory Options, with very limited functionality. I do wish the concept of a project with multiple TM's (similar to Multiterm Termbases) could be implemented. I've seen blurbs that one can do this with SDLX, maybe some technology transfer would take place now.

On another note, I am another veteran programmer and software QA professional, and I do find fault with Trados's quality.

Proper QA requires that testing is done with test cases that reflect reality, if the software you depend upon has functional errors, you have to design your software around them and you must include those errors in your test cases to demonstrate your workaround. For non-functional errors (bugs), you must demonstrate through testing that your code handles them gracefully.

The least acceptable course of action when a decision is taken not to work around another party's problem (especially when their software is almost your raison d'etre) is to document the cause, effect, and suggested user workaround in your release notes. The absence of such notes shows that error conditions were not properly applied in test cases and that real life scenarios were not staged, that's not very good QA.

[Edited at 2005-08-18 16:36]

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Reflection on Network Problem Aug 18, 2005

I can imagine a situation where the network problem will impact several people at once with no ability to coordinate a workaround.

Imagine a translator's conference (an ATA convention for example) in a large hotel with a wireless network. A number of unrelated attendees bring their laptops with Trados 7 to work when not attending sessions in the evening. I wonder if this softkey network issue will cause the first one who starts Trados to exclude the others until he is done? Maybe some people should try this when they attend the Trados travelling roadshow!

[Edited at 2005-08-18 16:31]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 upgrade from 6.5 worth the expense?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across Translator Edition and Across Language Server v7
Meet our brand new version and speed up your translation processes!

Deliver high-quality translations with our fast and secure solutions. You can also integrate machine translation and other third-party systems. The Across Translator Basic Edition is free for freelancers. Start now and discover new business opportuniti

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search