Studio 2017 and 2017SR1: Time required to find translation results
Thread poster: Enrico C - ECLC

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 19:15
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 27, 2017

Hi,

Does anyone have long waiting times for Studio to find matches for each segment or it is just me? As i type this it's been looking for matches (and with or without LookAhead on).
Is there any known solution? It's just useless this way.

Thanks

Enrico


 

Koshinokinsho  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:15
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Pre-Translate Hangs in Studio 2017 SR1 Aug 2, 2017

I was finding that in pre-SR1 2017 it took a long time to find results from the translation memory unless I ran pre-translate. But the pre-translate task worked fine, so it wasn't a problem.

However, after installing SR1, pre-translate seems to hang on some files. I haven't been able to identify much of a pattern, other than that they are files longer than about 1500 Japanese characters (approx. 1.5 pages of A4). I tried pasting the content of one Word file into a clean Word file using the "Keep text only" paste function, to remove formatting, and then tried running pre-translate, but it got to a certain point and then wouldn't go any further (stuck at 54%). It still says it's performing tasks, but with an earlier file, I left it to run and the computer went into sleep mode after about an hour - pre-translate has never taken that long before. When I woke the computer up again, the Cancel button was greyed out, so I had to force the program closed with Task Manager. Even with the other ones that have hung, the cancel function takes forever and I've again had to force the program closed (although in those cases, it let me just click on the cross in the main Studio window).

I've only experienced this problem since installing SR1 (and the subsequent update) and reindexing the translation memories. I thought it might have been just a problem with files I'd initially set up prior to installing SR1, but it's also happening with the new ones I'm setting up now.


 

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 19:15
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same here Aug 3, 2017

Koshinokinsho wrote:

I was finding that in pre-SR1 2017 it took a long time to find results from the translation memory unless I ran pre-translate. But the pre-translate task worked fine, so it wasn't a problem.

However, after installing SR1, pre-translate seems to hang on some files. I haven't been able to identify much of a pattern, other than that they are files longer than about 1500 Japanese characters (approx. 1.5 pages of A4). I tried pasting the content of one Word file into a clean Word file using the "Keep text only" paste function, to remove formatting, and then tried running pre-translate, but it got to a certain point and then wouldn't go any further (stuck at 54%). It still says it's performing tasks, but with an earlier file, I left it to run and the computer went into sleep mode after about an hour - pre-translate has never taken that long before. When I woke the computer up again, the Cancel button was greyed out, so I had to force the program closed with Task Manager. Even with the other ones that have hung, the cancel function takes forever and I've again had to force the program closed (although in those cases, it let me just click on the cross in the main Studio window).

I've only experienced this problem since installing SR1 (and the subsequent update) and reindexing the translation memories. I thought it might have been just a problem with files I'd initially set up prior to installing SR1, but it's also happening with the new ones I'm setting up now.


Hi Koshinokinsho,

Same here but that problem has been there since before SR1 too. Preparing a file for translation can take 5/7 minutes at times. Normally you get stuck at around 70% and from there i can go watch the news because it takes quite a long time to get ready.

Very time consuming indeed.


 

Koshinokinsho  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:15
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Fixed hanging pre-translate in 2017 SR1 Aug 9, 2017

Having seen Paul Filkin's reply here: https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/13562
I've now tried turning off fragment matching again and it does seem to have done the trick (still slower than pre-SR1, but it's completing pre-translate).

I'm now only turning on fragment matching on the project once its been through pre-translate.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 and 2017SR1: Time required to find translation results

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search