Is it possible to use SDL Trados through Wine?
Thread poster: Sulem

Sulem
Norway
Local time: 07:45
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 4

Hi everyone!

I'm going to start translating and I really need SDL Trados, the problem is that I have a Mac (OS Yosemite, 10.10.5). Do you know if it is possible to work through Wine? I am having trouble trying to install SDL Trados through Wine but I don't know if it's because it's not possible, or because I'm not doing it right. What do you recommend me, Parallels or Wine?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jean Dimitriadis
France
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...

Posted via
ProZ.com Mobile

VM Aug 4

Hello,

Trados does not work through Wine, you will need to use a Virtual Machine like Parallels, VMware, Virtualbox and the like.

There are some CAT tools that work on a Mac and provide Trados compatibility, so you can still do the core of the work on your native OS.

Sulem
Norway
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply! Aug 5

Hi Jean,

Thank you a lot for your reply. I have been looking around but I could not find any specific information. I will try VirtualBox.

Have a nice weekend!

Jean Dimitriadis
France
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
VirtualBox Aug 5

Hello Sulem,

You're welcome.

VirtualBox is a good choice, I use it myself (on GNU/Linux).

After installing Windows as a guest OS on VirtualBox, you will want to install Guest Additions and enable Shared folders.

This will allow you to share files and folders (directories) between host (your OS X) and guest (your VM).

Following the steps offered in the chosen answer should do the trick: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27355688/shared-folder-between-macosx-and-windows-on-virtual-box

Have a nice weekend too!

Jean

Sulem
Norway
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 8

Thank you so much for your advice! I will do so

Have a nice day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to use SDL Trados through Wine?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search