How to export target file in Microsoft Word default format
Thread poster: Masoud Kakoli

Masoud Kakoli
Iran
Local time: 11:22
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Aug 25

I have imported my source text into SDL Trados and translated my text. Now, I'd like to export my target file regardless of the source file format. In other words, I'd like my target file to be in Word default format. How can I do so? Are there any native features or add-ons that let me do so?

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:52
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Probably have to copy the source into a Word document first. Aug 25

Masoud Kakoli wrote:

I have imported my source text into SDL Trados and translated my text. Now, I'd like to export my target file regardless of the source file format. In other words, I'd like my target file to be in Word default format. How can I do so? Are there any native features or add-ons that let me do so?

As far as I know, all CAt tools are geared to export in the same format as they import, except for pdf files, that is, which I believe are converted to a Word document during the import process.

So to be able to do what you want, I don't see many other ways of doing it than:

- Copying the source file over into a Word document (or have it save as a Word document if the source program allows that)
- Exporting for bilingual view, and then copy the target column over into a Word document. Convert the table to text, and then work on the format.

CafeTran Training
Netherlands
External review table? Aug 25

Masoud Kakoli wrote:

You could try to create an External review table, if Studio supports this too (IIRC, it does). You'll lose the formatting, however.

_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
What's your ultimate goal? Aug 28

Hi,

I can't really add to what Roy and CafeTran have already suggested, but I'm still puzzling over two things:

a) What is your source format and
b) What exactly is it that you want to achieve, i.e. what do you want to do with the DOCX file that you cannot or do not want to do with the current format.

I'm wondering because there might be a different means to your end, e.g. an external tool to convert whatever your source format is to DOCX, or another format or file viewer that's equally suitable for your particular use case.

Stephan

Masoud Kakoli
Iran
Local time: 11:22
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I mean appearance by "format" Aug 28

_stephan wrote:

Hi,

I can't really add to what Roy and CafeTran have already suggested, but I'm still puzzling over two things:

a) What is your source format and
b) What exactly is it that you want to achieve, i.e. what do you want to do with the DOCX file that you cannot or do not want to do with the current format.

I'm wondering because there might be a different means to your end, e.g. an external tool to convert whatever your source format is to DOCX, or another format or file viewer that's equally suitable for your particular use case.

Stephan

It seems that my text has not been very lucid to you. By "format", I don't mean file type such as DOCX, PDF, and etc. rather I mean the form and the appearance of the file

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Saving target file Aug 28

If I have understood correctly, you just need to save your target translated file, right?

To do so, go to File - Save target as.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to export target file in Microsoft Word default format

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search