HTML tags - what is the best work process for Trados 17 to capture them in the target text?
Thread poster: Martin Shaw

Martin Shaw
Germany
Local time: 02:30
Member (Mar 2017)
German to English
Aug 28

e.g. do I copy source to target and insert the translation between the tags?

(Sorry, I'm a complete novice!)

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Martin Aug 29

Martin Shaw wrote:
What is the best work process for Trados 2017 to capture HTML tags in the target text? Do I copy source to target and insert the translation between the tags?

You could do that, but eventually you'll have to learn how to delete incorrect tags and how to insert correct tags manually. There are some keyboard shortcuts for that, and it take a bit of practice, because Trados' way of dealing with tags isn't straight-forward (I myself haven't been able to figure it out, for example, but I'm also a novice when it comes to Trados). Also note that AFAIK you can't place individual paired tags -- instead, you have place both tags of a pair simultaneously (which can be a frustrating experience in complex segments).

As soon as you start getting fuzzy matches, you'll have to be able to tell how to move tags around, delete tags, and insert tags.

This video is good to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y5WzzSZ4ss

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
handling tags Aug 29

Martin Shaw wrote:

(Sorry, I'm a complete novice!)

Not too hard... this is old now but still relevant:

https://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/09/10/working_with_tags/

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

Glyn Lloyd-Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:30
Member (2015)
Italian to English
There's a useful app Aug 29

Martin Shaw wrote:

called Copy Tags in the appstore. It does what the name says - copies the tags from the source to the target (Alt + T), which saves you having to delete the source text before inserting your translation.

http://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/copy-tags/758/

javierxp
Spain
To capture tags the Best method is pressing Ctrl + , (comma) Aug 31

Hello, if you just want to capture the tags appearing in the source column and put them in the target column, the best method is pressing Ctrl + , (comma) (that is you press the Ctrl key, you hold it, and you press the comma key in your keyboard)
It's supereasy, you don't need to read long documents or watch videotutorials
You have finished the translation in the target column, you miss the tags, you see the tags in the source column and the only you have to do is pressing Ctrl + , and you will see a menu showing the tags. Use the arrows in your keyboard, up, down, and you will go up and down inside the menu, in this way you will be able to select tags and also quantities (it can capture also numbers from the source column and tags), one you select the right tags, just click on it (or press enter) and you will have the tag or the number inserted in the target column, coming from the source column.
Enjoy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HTML tags - what is the best work process for Trados 17 to capture them in the target text?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search