Trados 5.5 freelance
Thread poster: Jiri Domzal

Jiri Domzal
Local time: 17:59
English to Czech
+ ...
Apr 28, 2005

Hello
could you help me please? I´m using Trados 5.5 freelance with Microsoft Word 97. Recently I had upgraded my Windows 98 to Windows XP (service pack 2) and my big problems have begun:). Now after setting/closing segment the translated part is not saved in my native language correctly. I translate from English into Czech and it writes after cleaning up weird letters like ù, ò, ì ,è instead of Czech equivalents! I reinstalled trados5.dot, normal.dot in Word 97 but in vain. Also set source font as Arial target as Arial CE in Trados Workbench... Big sigh:))!
Thank you for any advises:)!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is NO ARIAL CE in Windows XP Apr 28, 2005

And Trados 5.5 does not support Unicode.
This is where your problems probably come from.
Allthough Arial CE never existed really, it is only a subset of Arial in Unicode, it was handled as spearate font by all Word versions until 95. After that Arial CE dissapeared. If you force Windows XP to use "Arial CE", the system creates a substitute font, which does not really exist.

What you could do: first check, if your document is correctly formatted, use only available fonts in your system. Set the document language to your target language. Do not set font substitution to any CE-fonts.

And the best solution: upgrade to Trados 6.5. You will get a version, which does support Unicode and does not make major (even minor) problems with Slavic languages. As Trados is bringing the 7th edition in June, if you upgrade now, you´ll get Trados 7 for free. More information can be found here.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Registry Apr 28, 2005

Have you changed the registry? See Trados FAQ:
Characters in Eastern European languages are not displayed correctly

Jiri Domzal
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Registry Apr 29, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Have you changed the registry? See Trados FAQ:
Characters in Eastern European languages are not displayed correctly

Yes just a couple minutes ago - in vain again. But never mind Word macro will make it:)! Best wishes!

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Registry Apr 29, 2005

Yes just a couple minutes ago - in vain again.

And have you restarted your computer?

Jiri Domzal
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Registry Apr 29, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Yes just a couple minutes ago - in vain again.

And have you restarted your computer?

Yeah - wise men say it must be done after registry changes:)! BTW that Word macro is not bad:))!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5 freelance

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search