https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/318232-in_studio_2015_why_doesnt_the_folder_i_used_on_my_2nd_laptop_updates_on_my_1st_laptop.html

In Studio 2015, why doesn't the folder I used on my 2nd laptop updates on my 1st laptop?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:55
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 2, 2017

I was on an airflight yesterday, and translated on my netbook on my second installation of Studio 2015. I progressed from 40 % to 60 % translated of a file. When I reached my destination, and this morning copied this folder from my netbook to my laptop to resume my translation from the 60 % I had reached, it still displayed 40 % on my laptop. Why, and how should I go about to get the "real" folder from my netbook opened properly in my laptop's Studio 2015?

It seems somehow my laptop
... See more
I was on an airflight yesterday, and translated on my netbook on my second installation of Studio 2015. I progressed from 40 % to 60 % translated of a file. When I reached my destination, and this morning copied this folder from my netbook to my laptop to resume my translation from the 60 % I had reached, it still displayed 40 % on my laptop. Why, and how should I go about to get the "real" folder from my netbook opened properly in my laptop's Studio 2015?

It seems somehow my laptop keeps one more folder on my laptop's drive, and uses this one.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 13:55
Chinese to English
+ ...
You provided literally no useful information for anyone to help you Sep 2, 2017

Which folder did you copy, for starters?

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think there are two folders that Studio automatically creates when I create a project Sep 2, 2017

Hi,

I copied the whole project folder from my netbook to my laptop. Exactly the same names, nothing changed. I even deleted the laptop project folder before copying the latest version of the project folder from my netbook.

However, I think that Studio might use another, backup, folder than the one I create myself.

I tried deleting the project from the project overview list also, and then re-opened the updated project folder copied from my netbook. It didn't
... See more
Hi,

I copied the whole project folder from my netbook to my laptop. Exactly the same names, nothing changed. I even deleted the laptop project folder before copying the latest version of the project folder from my netbook.

However, I think that Studio might use another, backup, folder than the one I create myself.

I tried deleting the project from the project overview list also, and then re-opened the updated project folder copied from my netbook. It didn't work either.
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Projects.xml file? Sep 2, 2017

I have this Projects.xml file in this file location:

C:\Users\MyUserName\MyDocuments\Studio 2015\Projects

Now Studio doesn't open from the file location where I initially created the project, but from somewhere else. Could this be the location? But there is only this single one XML file. So perhaps it's still another location I need to find.

It doesn't matter how many times I copy the updated project folder from my netbook to my laptop, Studio opens this pr
... See more
I have this Projects.xml file in this file location:

C:\Users\MyUserName\MyDocuments\Studio 2015\Projects

Now Studio doesn't open from the file location where I initially created the project, but from somewhere else. Could this be the location? But there is only this single one XML file. So perhaps it's still another location I need to find.

It doesn't matter how many times I copy the updated project folder from my netbook to my laptop, Studio opens this project from somewhere else on my laptop (somewhere else than the project folder in Studio's Project Settings\Location). Even if remove the project from the project view in Studio and then reopen it after having browsed to the project folder I chose myself to save to and open from there.

[Edited at 2017-09-02 04:12 GMT]
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Sep 2, 2017

It works fine now, I have the project folder where is should be.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In Studio 2015, why doesn't the folder I used on my 2nd laptop updates on my 1st laptop?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »