Handling segments that are not to be translated
Thread poster: robroy

robroy
Local time: 08:12
German to English
Sep 26, 2017

Hello, I am sure this must have been dealt with, but I cannot find any tips.

My problem: I frequently have to translate texts in which individual segments are not to be translated (e.g. instructions etc.). What is the best way for me to deal with these and still get a "100% translated" shown when I have finished the text? A friend suggested locking the segments, which is good in that the cursor then does not jump to these segments. However, Trados then shows a figure below 100%, and I have to minutely search the file to make sure I have not left anything out.
Another suggestion was a modification to the Word file (or whatever the original format is), e.g. by hiding the segments in Word, but that is at best a workaround, and I frequently get only the xliff files to translate.
Does anyone have a tip for me? I'm using Studio 2017 SP 1.
Thanks
Rob Roy

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:12
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Filter Sep 26, 2017

As for finding untranslated or unconfirmed segments (segments that you have "left out"): you can use the filter under review or the advanced filter to show unconfirmed segments (or other sets of segments). You can also hide all locked segments and select all remaining segments and confirm them in one go.

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Copy source to target and confirm Sep 26, 2017

As per subject. Unless you have some specific reason not to.

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:12
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not a good Idea, since it messes up your TM Sep 26, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Copy source to target and confirm

This is not a good idea, since it adds untranslated segments as valid translations to your TM.

A better option, if one receives the text as an MS Word file, is to format anything that should not be translated as "hidden" text. After that, import the file in Studio and translate it. Similar techniques are available for text received in other formats (e.g., comment out a portion of a text if the file to be translated is in html format, hide a column if it is Excel, etc.

If one needs to be able to see these instructions in Studio, though, the above suggestions would preclude it.

In that case I suggest that all such segments be translated with a special symbol, word, or phrase (e.g. "INSTRUCTIONS"), then confirm and lock.

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Lianne, Mirko and Riccardo Sep 26, 2017

@Lianne: This looks like a promising approach and I will try it next time.
@Mirko: As Riccardo says, this is what I wanted to avoid (although I have done this in the past), as I feel that the number of untranslated segments in my TM is growing (this is a regular customer, and I get a lot of texts with segments that are not to be translated)
@Riccardo: This is what a colleague already suggested, and though it looks like a "workaround", it may effectively be the best solution. I'll try it out!
Rob Roy

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Additional work Sep 26, 2017

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Copy source to target and confirm

This is not a good idea, since it adds untranslated segments as valid translations to your TM.

Even "translating" every such segment as 'INSTRUCTIONS' or similar placeholder text, as you suggested, would still add "junk" 'segments as valid translations to your TM'...

At any rate, the OP also wrote "I frequently get only the xliff files to translate". If the files were prepared by the client that way, instead of marking the relevant parts as comments, tags, etc., then I think they should remain in the translated version too.

Also, more in general, tampering with the source and producing a translated version with missing or altered parts might produce unforeseen consequences and/or an unusable file (e.g. omitting or altering HTML or other code...).

If, on the other hand, you receive a source document with a relevant amount of comments (or other content that should not be "translated") interspersed among the segments to translate, but without an easy way to tag them, then you would still be looking at a lot of additional preparatory work, which IMO is not a real solution either (unless that is taken into account accordingly).

To the OP: if you are concerned about "polluting" your TM (as Riccardo suggested), a solution could perhaps be to simply ask your client(s) to delimit comments with specific symbols (or formatting) and then tag them, or ask the client to tag them themselves in the sdlxliffs (e.g. http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/File_Types/Examples_of_Regular_Expressions.htm http://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/6770 ), or just to provide you with a simple spreadsheet file with comments/instructions (if that's what we're really talking about) in a different column than the text to translate.

P.S. I actually forgot a very simple alternative. You could just copy the source to target and then simply change the status to translated without updating the TM...

[Edited at 2017-09-26 18:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handling segments that are not to be translated

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search