How can you mark newly translated parts?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 1, 2005

After I translate ttx-files with TagEditor, I save the target-segments as rtf and let another person check the spelling and grammar etc.
The problem is, in many projects only 10 percent of the text may be new, the rest is already approved. If the editors read the whole text I have to pay them more than I will get for the translation, so that's not feasable.
Is there a way to either mark the new segments in the rtf (font color) or to save only the changed segments?

Thanks for your advice!

Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:05
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Not a solution, but a workaround... May 1, 2005

One way I can think of would be applying the following procedure:

Export part of the TM, using appropriate filters (date, for example) and make a temporary TM with it.

Use that partial TM to pretranslate the _original_ ttx.

This gives ttx with only new segments (those included in the temporary TM) translated. Whether you want to include the other untranslated segments for better readability ("segment unknown sentences") is your personal choice.

Save the result rtf, as usual.

Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
Text Colors May 1, 2005

Trados has a solution for such cases.
"Options -> translated text colours"

I adjusted it as "blue" for 100% match and "yellow" for segments requiring translation/modification.

Although it does not seem to be working as assumed, it does change the colour of all translated segments into blue. This might be a bug in my program, but can work properly for you.
Worth to give a try.

[Edited at 2005-05-01 11:05]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 01:05
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Export unknown segments after analysis but before translating May 2, 2005

When you have created the ttx, (or perhaps you get it from your customer, whatever), but before actually translating, run the Workbench analysis on it and export unknown segments, saving them as an rtf file.

Proceed as before.

After the translation, "fuzzy translate" this rtf in Word with the aid of the translation memory you updated during the actual Tag-Editor translation (should go smoothly and automatically).

The resulting rtf is what you want, if I really understand what you want: it contains translations of new segments only. Of course, the proofreaders should also get the complete files because of the context.

Antonin

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds good, Antonin May 3, 2005

I will try that. Hope I find the exporting switch in Workbench.
Thanks to all of you!
Regards
Heinrich

It worked very well. Got a clean document with only the interesting segments. I still deleted these silly tags and sent the document to the editor.
What a relief! Thank you, Antonin!

[Edited at 2005-05-03 08:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can you mark newly translated parts?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search