Adding new file to an existing project needs restart of Studio 2017
Thread poster: Franz Holzer

Franz Holzer
Local time: 23:33
Greek to German
+ ...
Oct 3

Hello!
Everytime I add a new file to an existing project, followed by batchtask "preparing without memory" (sorry, I don't know how it is in english), I have to close and to open SDL, though I can begin translating.
Is this the only and common way to start a translation?

TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:33
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
Go to another project... Oct 3

I haven't been able to start translating a new file added to an existing project right away, either, so if someone has a better answer, please do let me know...

But what works for me is to go to my list of projects and double-click on a different project - any project, it doesn't matter, just open it. Then return to the project list and open the project you actually want to work on. You should then be able to translate the file.

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:33
English to Russian
Switch language flags Oct 3

I have only 2 projects for all files (English to Native and Native to English). Several years ago I understood that creating a project for each new assignment is just wasting my time.

I suppose that you cannot start translation because after the preparation batch task Trados remains in its source part.
When you close Trados or switch between projects, Trados reverts to its target part from where you can launch your translation.

So just switch the language flag [upper left corner]. Trados won't do it automatically - how could it know that you may want to translate the file you just added... What if you add it just for fun.

[Edited at 2017-10-03 11:21 GMT]

Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What does "Switch flag" mean? Oct 3

Thank you Laura for your answer. But as mentioned, I use only one project too.

Stepan, thank to you too. What du you mean "switch flag". I do not have something like that in the upper left corner in Project view.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Select your target language Oct 3

As Stepan has pointed out, the last step after preparing your files is to select the target language from the list of languages under Files in the upper left corner. It looks like this:

2017-10-03_100233

After adding a new file to a project and preparing it, Studio will show the list of files for the source language. You must then manually select your target language to display the list of translatable files.

If you're not seeing the Files pane with the language flags, it may be minimized and you would need to click on the right arrow at the top to maximize it:

2017-10-03_100526

Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That solved it (me) :-) Oct 3

Thank you very much Nora, this was it. It was really minimized.

Thanks a lot to all of you guys and girls

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding new file to an existing project needs restart of Studio 2017

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search