How to delete segments in alignment process
Thread poster: Jean-Paul Salaün
Jean-Paul Salaün  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:42
English to French
Oct 3

Hi all,
i am working on an alignment between English and French files wich apparently are not exactly the same but have some similar parts.
the results are rather disappointing. i have a mess of connections which very far apart one of the other on the screen and lot of segments that i want to delete. I remnber it was possible in Workbench, bus this new version doesnt seem to have this fonction.
It i quite impossible to match segments when thay are not on the same screen which is the case.
Does anybody have a cue on this problem.

to be frank i do not consider this new version of SDL better than 2015.

best JP

Direct link Reply with quote

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:42
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Use WinAlign, or LF_aligner. Oct 3

Jean-Paul Salaün wrote:

Hi all,
i am working on an alignment between English and French files wich apparently are not exactly the same but have some similar parts.
the results are rather disappointing. i have a mess of connections which very far apart one of the other on the screen and lot of segments that i want to delete. I remnber it was possible in Workbench, bus this new version doesnt seem to have this fonction.
It i quite impossible to match segments when thay are not on the same screen which is the case.
Does anybody have a cue on this problem.

to be frank i do not consider this new version of SDL better than 2015.

best JP

WinAlign (the old aligner from Trados Workbench days) should still be installed on your computer. You should be able to find it on your computer in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SDL\T2007\TT\Winalign.exe

Of course, WinAlign is limited to certain file types only, and if you have (for example) *.docx files to align, you might have to first save them as *.rtf.

Another good alignment tool you can use is LF_aligner (you can download it from https://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/).

Don't try to use the "aligner" function provided with Studio: it's absolutely useless, crippled in ways that boggle the mind (for instance: when it first came out, it was supposed to be so good that it was completely automatic. No joining of splitting of segments, no nothing. Of course, it soon proved to be anything but useful that way, so they added some manual functionality. No splitting of segments, yet, AFAIK, but they now allow joining... only, since doing otherwise might have made the software somewhat useful, they allow joining up to three segments... no more than that.)

The current Studio alignment module might be able to align two documents that are completely identical, but for anything else it is just a waste of time: it's as if SDL had launched an internal contest for the most useless piece of software, and the winning entry became the new alignment module.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to delete segments in alignment process

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search