Preparing Text for Someone Who Doesn't Own Trados
Thread poster: valfrhg
valfrhg
Local time: 08:35
English to French
+ ...
May 4, 2005

Hi,

I'd like to prepare text for someone who doesn't own Trados, so he can work with me on a Trados project. Would anybody know how to do it?

Thanks in advance

Val

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:35
English to German
+ ...
Please specify May 4, 2005

What kind of software does this other person have? DVX, Wordfast, etc.?

What kind of files are you working on (Word, Excel, PP, any other format)?

Sonja

valfrhg
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
He only has Word. May 4, 2005

Hi Sonja,

I just want him to be able to have the Trados formatting so I can edit his work. He doesn't have any TM software and we'd be working with Word (rtf and html files)

Thanks,

Val

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Workbench / Tools / Translate... May 4, 2005

This will segment the text in a Word file (and insert any terminology from a Multiterm database) so he can deliver an uncleaned file.

valfrhg
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot, Harry. May 4, 2005

Thanks, I apreciate it Harry

Val

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Tags May 4, 2005

The translator just has to be very careful not to damage the Trados tags and the source text. It won't be easy for him/her (and for you, if it happens).

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
.. May 4, 2005

valfrhg wrote:
I just want him to be able to have the Trados formatting so I can edit his work. He doesn't have any TM software and we'd be working with Word (rtf and html files)

Hi Val,

I am not sure this is a good idea. Tags can get damaged easily. If you really want to have it as a Trados uncleaned file, ask him/her to try to use Wordfast or Metatexis. Both have a lot of functionality, even in trial mode. (WFs limitations are in TM size, i.e. s/he won't be able to make use of the translation memory once the no. of allowed TUs is exceeded, Metatexis has a similar approach although I am not sure if Metatexis will work once you reach the limit.)

HTH.

Sonja

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Seperate sentences by empty lines... May 5, 2005

valfrhg wrote:
I'd like to prepare text for someone who doesn't own Trados, so he can work with me on a Trados project. Would anybody know how to do it?

Well, basically what you'd want is for him to translate it in such a way that you can align your source text and his target text in a quick and efficient way.

So, simply break down the text you send him by adding empty lines in between sentences, and possible additional characters (such as "==") between paragraphs, and send him the text in a plaintext or plaintext-lookalike format.

Explain to him that the translation must also have these empty lines between the sentences. Tell him that you'd prefer he don't join sentences, but if he must, then he must make the two sentences into a single unit and he must indicate very clearly in a separate report that he did it and where he did it.

Then, when you get his text back, you do a quick alignment and add the TUs to the TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preparing Text for Someone Who Doesn't Own Trados

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search