https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/320047-is_trados_studio_2017_sr1_working_good_for_you.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is Trados studio 2017 SR1 working good for you?
Thread poster: Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:15
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 27, 2017

Hi everybody,
after I installed the SR1 release, I have had a huge amount of problems with trados, and I had to submit different support tickets to SDL.
However, after every SDL intervention on my PC, new problems appeared that make it really frustrating for me to use this software.
... See more
Hi everybody,
after I installed the SR1 release, I have had a huge amount of problems with trados, and I had to submit different support tickets to SDL.
However, after every SDL intervention on my PC, new problems appeared that make it really frustrating for me to use this software.
You can see some of them here: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/p/14493/52168#52168

My question is: am I the only one who is experiencing such troubles?
Is there a translator out there who can work with Trados 2017 SR1 without any problems?!?!?
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 06:15
English to Italian
+ ...
Lots of issues Oct 29, 2017

I have lots of issues.
- Sluggishness in preparing projects, while working and during QA.
- QA basically doesn't work. Lots of false positives also with terms.
- Term recognition doesn't work very often.
- Lots of error messages
- Countless crashes

I spend more time fixing issues than working and I gave up on opening support tickets. The whole thing is broken. They give you help for one problem, then another issue pops up. It seems like the software is
... See more
I have lots of issues.
- Lots of error messages
- Countless crashes

I spend more time fixing issues than working and I gave up on opening support tickets. The whole thing is broken. They give you help for one problem, then another issue pops up. It seems like the software is designed to make you fail and make you live in an endless cycle of issues.

[Edited at 2017-10-29 00:56 GMT]
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about a reimbursement from SDL? Oct 29, 2017

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

I have lots of issues.
- Lots of error messages
- Countless crashes

I spend more time fixing issues than working and I gave up on opening support tickets. The whole thing is broken. They give you help for one problem, then another issue pops up. It seems like the software is designed to make you fail and make you live in an endless cycle of issues.

[Edited at 2017-10-29 00:56 GMT]

Thank you Enrico,
so it appears that I am not the only one.
I have removed and reinstalled the software a dozen times already.
So I was thinking, if this software causes us so much trouble, instead of helping us with our work, why not ask SDL for a reimbursement?
I mean, until now I have lost many hours to try to fix the problems, plus the deadlines missed for Trados bugs..

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 01:15
English to Russian
+ ...
SR1 is terrible Jan 3, 2018

The 2017 SR1 is absolutely terrible. Such a waste of precious time. This is one of the worst surprises from SDL. Don't install it! Don't update to SR1 or you will most likely regret it! And it messes up termbases terribly. You might end up spending extra hours restoring corrupted DBs after adding a few terms in the updated Multiterm. Don't update Multiterm either.
Decided to share this with y'all while Studio is freezing again on a fast and powerful computer. Sick of it. Ctrl+Alt+Del again
... See more
The 2017 SR1 is absolutely terrible. Such a waste of precious time. This is one of the worst surprises from SDL. Don't install it! Don't update to SR1 or you will most likely regret it! And it messes up termbases terribly. You might end up spending extra hours restoring corrupted DBs after adding a few terms in the updated Multiterm. Don't update Multiterm either.
Decided to share this with y'all while Studio is freezing again on a fast and powerful computer. Sick of it. Ctrl+Alt+Del again. Such a waste of time. Should have waited a few months before updating.
If you have updated, press Ctrl+S OFTEN! The autosave in SR1 saves nothing and this update may crash quite a few times on you in a single project.

[Edited at 2018-01-03 02:26 GMT]
Collapse

Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:15
German to English
+ ...
Yes. Jan 3, 2018

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Is there a translator out there who can work with Trados 2017 SR1 without any problems?!?!?

Yes!

I haven't experienced a single one of the problems listed in this thread. I upgraded as soon as the pack became available.

The few problems I've experienced have been down to corrupt client TMs and termbases.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
The same here Jan 3, 2018

I have also done a few projects in Studio 2017 SR1, but have not experienced any issues so far.
Roy

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Sure Jan 3, 2018

Bruno Depascale wrote:

I haven't experienced ANY problems with ANY version (since 2007). Keep your OS healthy and clean, and everything will run smoothly.

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Application error Jan 3, 2018

I just performed a clean install of Windows 10 pro (and I installed all Windows and Trados updates). Microsoft support gave me the installation file (100% non corrupt).
Guess what? Trados keeps crashing. Do you think this is normal?
I don't think so...
By the way, here are the new error details:

Nome registro: Application
Origine: Application Error
Data: 03/01/18 17:59:05
ID evento: 1000
Categoria attività:(100)... See more
I just performed a clean install of Windows 10 pro (and I installed all Windows and Trados updates). Microsoft support gave me the installation file (100% non corrupt).
Guess what? Trados keeps crashing. Do you think this is normal?
I don't think so...
By the way, here are the new error details:

Origine: Application Error
Data: 03/01/18 17:59:05
ID evento: 1000
Categoria attività:(100)
Livello: Errore
Parole chiave: Classico
Utente: N/D
Computer: BRUNODEPASC872E
Descrizione:
Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: SDLTradosStudio.exe, versione: 14.1.6413.8, timestamp: 0x5a009398
Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: ntdll.dll, versione: 10.0.16299.64, timestamp: 0xac8afc81
Codice eccezione: 0xc0000374
Offset errore 0x000da849
ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0xf70
Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d38475de52104b
Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio5\SDLTradosStudio.exe
Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
ID segnalazione: 51a715bc-7399-45e6-9ce4-ad11931bd383
Nome completo pacchetto che ha generato l'errore:
ID applicazione relativo al pacchetto che ha generato l'errore:
XML evento:

0x80000000000000

Application
BRUNODEPASC872E

SDLTradosStudio.exe
5a009398
ntdll.dll
ac8afc81
c0000374
000da849
f70
01d38475de52104b
C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio5\SDLTradosStudio.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
51a715bc-7399-45e6-9ce4-ad11931bd383

Origine: .NET Runtime
Data: 03/01/18 17:59:04
ID evento: 1026
Categoria attività:Nessuna
Livello: Errore
Parole chiave: Classico
Utente: N/D
Computer: BRUNODEPASC872E
Descrizione:
Applicazione: SDLTradosStudio.exe
Versione framework: v4.0.30319
Descrizione: il processo è stato terminato a causa di un'eccezione non gestita.
Informazioni sull'eccezione: codice eccezione c0000005, indirizzo eccezione 74516B1D
Stack:

XML evento:

0x80000000000000

Application
BRUNODEPASC872E

Applicazione: SDLTradosStudio.exe
Versione framework: v4.0.30319
Descrizione: il processo è stato terminato a causa di un'eccezione non gestita.
Informazioni sull'eccezione: codice eccezione c0000005, indirizzo eccezione 74516B1D
Stack:

[Edited at 2018-01-03 17:09 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Bruno Jan 3, 2018

From your log it is obvious that the error is associated with Windows, not Trados - in your case you get it while launching Studio, but it can be evoked by any other application as well, there are plenty of causes for this.

Make a Google search for "ntdll.dll error" and see how to fix it.

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ntdll.dll error caused BY Trados!!!! Jan 3, 2018

Natalie wrote:

From your log it is obvious that the error is associated with Windows, not Trados - in your case you get it while launching Studio, but it can be evoked by any other application as well, there are plenty of causes for this.

Make a Google search for "ntdll.dll error" and see how to fix it.

Thank you for your reply Natalie.
I am not a technician but I can tell you that I installed a NEW version of Windows on a virtual machine and that the only softwares installed are "trados" "intelliwebsearch" and some dictionaries.
Why this issue happens only when I am running trados?
And why when I perform the checks of my Windows installation, the results say that my windows installation is fine? (no drivers missing, not a single problem with the memory).
This is extremely suspicious to me..

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I would still check the web for the ntdll.dll error Jan 3, 2018

I am not a technician but I can tell you that I installed a NEW version of Windows on a virtual machine and that the only softwares installed are "trados" "intelliwebsearch" and some dictionaries.
Why this issue happens only when I am running trados?
And why when I perform the checks of my Windows installation, the results say that my windows installation is fine? (no drivers missing, not a single problem with the memory).
This is extremely suspicious to me.

I have been a super user at a Norwegian translation company and from personal experience I can confirm that even if Windows is installed from scratch on two different machines and everything seems fine at first glance, everything may work nicely on one, while the other has problems. That the problems only appears with Trados, does not necessarily mean that Trados is at fault. I would, therefore, still read up on the error message and see what I can find. There still may be a problem with Windows that is not so apparent.

Roy

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Bruno... Jan 3, 2018

It is NOT an "ntdll.dll error caused BY Trados", it is Trados crash caused by ntdll.dll.

Eunbi kang
Eunbi kang
South Korea
Member (2017)
English to Korean
to me, actually not bed...... Jan 3, 2018

Of course, compared to other CAT Tool.....
I think there is the reaseon why people use Trados usually.

But it's true about the bad reputation people saying.
Trados has uncountable trouble to operate.
It's my routine to fight it for work.
Sincerely, I hope the company make it well, REALLY WELL.

Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Intelliwebsearch? Jan 4, 2018

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Hi Bruno

I had to disable intelliwebsearch shortly after installing Trados, they were no longer compatible. Try disabling this plugin and give it another try.

Edited to add - sorry, it was WebLookup.

[Edited at 2018-01-04 16:04 GMT]

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disabling plugins Jan 4, 2018

@Bruno, as @Francesca points out, I suggest you experiment disabling some of the plugins and see if then Studio works properly.
I had exactly the same problems as you, also the cursor jumping around segments as I typed, etc., a real nightmare.
I've now disabled the Telemetry and Machine translation account and Progress report plugins and, astonishingly, I've managed to translate during a couple of hours with no problems at all.
Hope it lasts and hope it helps you too.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Trados studio 2017 SR1 working good for you?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »