Thread poster: CristinaPereira

CristinaPereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 29

Hello,

I'm not familiar with SDL Trados Studio 2017 (I use 2014) and GroupShare, but my client asked me to install a free trial version for this specific project. I installed it, it seemed to work fine, but the next day it was disconnected from the server. I read and watched tutorials and solved this issue by closing and opening the file again (probably there's a better way to do it).
Now, I installed it yesterday and today it was already asking for an update. Mandatory, since my computer woudn't do anything more. I restarted it and now when I click the programme it shows me the set-up wizard. I'm afraid to follow it and lose what I have already done.
Is there anything I can do? Won't I lose what I have done if I follow again the wizard?
I hope I was clear (?) and thanks in advance for any help!

Cristina

Direct link Reply with quote

Haneder  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 18:51
German to French
+ ...
My two cents Oct 29

Hello,

Here are my two cent:
Normally if you have worked through groupshare and uploaded the processed file on the client's server the last time you worked on it, there should not be an issue, you should be able to get back your work in progress as soon as you reconnect to your client's server.
However if you had been working offline, the file you had been working on had been saved on your had drive and it is better to secure it before making any update (although normally the updates do not affect your user directories and you have mostly only to show the path to trados again throug a "open package" procedure).

Yolande

[Edited at 2017-10-29 15:32 GMT]

André Sainderichin  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:51
Member (2014)
French to Dutch
+ ...
No to worry Oct 29

Hey,

I'd start with making a backup copy of the files Trados made for your file (*.sdlproj and *.sdlxliff and the *.dockx file it produces) That way, you can always pick them up in Trados 2014.
Once you've done that, you can always try to get 2017 up and running again.

That being said, cost aspects aside, I'd upgrade to 2017. I installed it about 6 weeks after it became available, and it works just fine.

Good luck,
André

CristinaPereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Yolande and André Oct 29

Thank you very much for your help.

The update is not worrying me too much, even if I feel that I will be subject to some 3 updates per day
What's worrying me is having to do again the set-up I did yesterday. But I think you're right: the file will be there on the client's server.
And I can't translate this file in Studio 2014. It really has to be done in Studio 2017 and using GroupShare (everything new to me). I'm considering upgrading, of course, but I thought I'd have some more time
Thanks again!

Cristina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 - afraid to lose what I've done so far

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search