Customizing certain language features
Thread poster: Susie Rawson

Susie Rawson  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 31, 2017

Is there a way of customizing certain features of the chosen target language? I normally translate into Spanish Argentina, and at the beginning of every segment, regardless of whether I use capital letter or not, the first letter of the segment automatically turns into capital. Sometimes it´s annoying and time-consuming, especially when it´s not actually the beginning of a sentence.
Another feature I would like to change, and don´t know if that´s possible, is the use of , and . to indicate thousands and/or decimals. Since I choose Spanish Argentina, numbers simply write themselves in Argentina´s format. Can that be customized so it sticks to the original format, not for EVERY document but yes when I decide it?

Direct link Reply with quote

JennyWottrich
Netherlands
Local time: 23:45
English to German
+ ...
General settings/TM settings Nov 3, 2017

Hello Susie,

I have had similar issues before and found no way of actually customizing e.g. the decimal separator specifically. If anyone does know a method for that, I'd be very happy to hear about it as well!
But if I undestand correctly, what you want is to prevent it from localizing the number format automatically? Turning off auto-substitution will do that.

You need to do this in the TM settings.
Go to: Project Settings > Language Pairs > "your language pair" > Auto-substitution
and untick the number box.

You can find screenshots here:
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/10390

As for the segment starting with a capital letter.
Go to: Options > Editor > AutoCorrect
and select your target language, then untick "Capitalize first letter of sentences".

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Jenny

[Edited at 2017-11-03 13:56 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Customizing certain language features

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search