Customizing certain language features
Thread poster: Susie Rawson

Susie Rawson  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 31, 2017

Is there a way of customizing certain features of the chosen target language? I normally translate into Spanish Argentina, and at the beginning of every segment, regardless of whether I use capital letter or not, the first letter of the segment automatically turns into capital. Sometimes it´s annoying and time-consuming, especially when it´s not actually the beginning of a sentence.
Another feature I would like to change, and don´t know if that´s possible, is the use of , and . to indicate thousands and/or decimals. Since I choose Spanish Argentina, numbers simply write themselves in Argentina´s format. Can that be customized so it sticks to the original format, not for EVERY document but yes when I decide it?

JennyWottrich
Netherlands
Local time: 04:25
English to German
+ ...
General settings/TM settings Nov 3, 2017

Hello Susie,

I have had similar issues before and found no way of actually customizing e.g. the decimal separator specifically. If anyone does know a method for that, I'd be very happy to hear about it as well!
But if I undestand correctly, what you want is to prevent it from localizing the number format automatically? Turning off auto-substitution will do that.

You need to do this in the TM settings.
Go to: Project Settings > Language Pairs > "your language pair" > Auto-substitution
and untick the number box.

You can find screenshots here:
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/10390

As for the segment starting with a capital letter.
Go to: Options > Editor > AutoCorrect
and select your target language, then untick "Capitalize first letter of sentences".

Hope that helps!icon_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jenny

[Edited at 2017-11-03 13:56 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Customizing certain language features

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search