Belén Bravo Pardo
Spain
Local time: 15:52
Member (2017)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 4, 2017

Hi everyone,

One friend, who can use her licence for two computers (PC and laptop), although not at the same time, has lent me it in order to install the software in my computer to make a one-time job. (She will not be using it at the weekend).

Do you know if I can download this software (to use her licence) if I have not bought it before? If it is possible, how can I do it?

Thank you.

Belén

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You'll have to log in to her account, I believe Nov 4, 2017

Belén Bravo Pardo wrote:
Do you know if I can download this software (to use her licence) if I have not bought it before? If it is possible, how can I do it?

As far as I know, you'll find the download link after you've logged in to her SDL account. You'll also find the license number after you've logged in to the account.

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:52
English to Russian
If your question is Nov 5, 2017

whether you may safely/legally use your friend’s license without any punishment for her, I believe you may. I have been doing this for 2 years now (share the second license with my friend) because I do not need the second license at all, but when I bought it, the cost difference between 1 license and 2 licenses was close to negligible.
You do not abuse SDL rights, and your friend only uses what she paid for (2 licenses), one with her own hands and another with your hands. That's it.

If you really meant technical side, Samuel Murray has already replied.

In any case, be extremely careful when activating/deactivating the license. Do not uninstall Trados unless you consult your friend. The risk of incorrect deactivation may cause troubles for her.

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Use the trial version Nov 5, 2017

If it is just a one off you would be better downloading the trial version of Studio as that is the full Professional version. You can use that for 30 days without any restrictions.

I remember Paul Filkin of SDL saying very clearly that the two licences of the Freelance Plus Version were meant to be used just by the person who bought it on two different computers and that it wasn't allowed (illegal) for anyone else to use one of the licences.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to download the software to use one friend's licence

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search