https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/320432-access_to_the_path_c_users_my_music_is_denied.html

Access to the path 'C:\Users\...\My Music' is denied
Thread poster: ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
Local time: 08:39
English to French
+ ...
Nov 13, 2017

'Access to the path 'C:\Users\[computer name]\Documents\My Music' is denied'

This is what I get when I open a package in SDL Studio 2017.

I found a workaround here: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000003066 but it applies to SDL Studio 2015 and I can't follow Step 2 (Rename folder 12.0.0.0 in C:\Users\[User]\AppDat
... See more
'Access to the path 'C:\Users\[computer name]\Documents\My Music' is denied'

This is what I get when I open a package in SDL Studio 2017.

I found a workaround here: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000003066 but it applies to SDL Studio 2015 and I can't follow Step 2 (Rename folder 12.0.0.0 in C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio) because I can't find 'AppData' in [User].

Any help gratefully received, especially if it's written in plain English.

Thank you.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:39
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
%appdata% Nov 13, 2017

You can usually go directly to AppData by typing "%appdata%" (without the quote marks)

[Edited at 2017-11-14 01:46 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:39
Danish to English
+ ...
Appdata Nov 13, 2017

If you can't find Appdata, you must be looking in the wrong folder.

Be sure to look in the folder C:\Users\ph-b-user\AppData, where ph-b-user is the name of your Windows userid.

If you rename that folder, you will most likely lose all your Studio settings, and it may not even solve the problem.

"Delete all the settings you spent hours setting up" is unfortunately too often the standard answer when IT support staff can't be bothered to fix anything.

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AppData found, but... Nov 13, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

You can usually go directly to AppData directly by typing "%appdata%" (without the quote marks)

[Edited at 2017-11-13 19:28 GMT]

Thanks John.

I did find AppData but my problem now is that there's no folder called 12.0.0.0. There's one named called 14.0.0.0...

Would renaming it solve my problem, and if so, does renaming it means that I just add, say, _?

Update: I tried to rename it but I still get the same error message.

[Edited at 2017-11-13 19:55 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:39
Danish to English
+ ...
14 = 2017 Nov 13, 2017

ph-b wrote:

I did find AppData but my problem now is that there's no folder called 12.0.0.0. There's one named called 14.0.0.0...

Would renaming it solve my problem, and if so, does renaming it means that I just add, say, _?

Update: I tried to rename it but I still get the same error message.

14.0.0.0 is for Studio 2017.

As I said, it might well not solve the problem. Rename it back quickly before you lose anything.

My Music in Documents is most likely empty anyway. My Music on my computer is in the same folder as My Documents, and My Music in My Documents has nothing in it, and cannot be accessed.

What are you trying to do with that folder? It doesn't sound like a natural place for translation packages.

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
End of story... Nov 13, 2017

[quote]Thomas T. Frost wrote:

What are you trying to do with that folder? It doesn't sound like a natural place for translation packages.

I'm not trying to do anything with it, Thomas. I'm just trying to follow the workaround described by SDL.

Anyway, my client and I have found a 'non-SDL' solution. Thank you for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Access to the path 'C:\Users\...\My Music' is denied

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »