Trados Studio changes unit formats from 25g to 25 g, 200ml to 200 ml etc.
Thread poster: Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:28
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Nov 19, 2017

I am translating a series of cookery recipes, some 16000 words, with a tight deadline, and Trados keeps changing the formatting, even in confirmed segments.

My client has specified that weight units are to be written without spaces, as 25g, 200ml, 150g 470kcal and so on.

Trados changes this an inserts a space before the measures.

There are hundreds of measurements like this, and it is driving me crazy. I cannot use the matches or auto-propagate - I have to type in all the numbers and check them.
Even when I type them correctly and confirm the segment, if I save and close the file overnight, Trados changes the confirmed segments.

How can I stop it and make the segments stay as I type them? I am translating into English and have to add imperial weights after the metric weights, and Trados changes those too - it is a nightmare!!

Kristīne Biezā
Latvia
Local time: 18:28
Estonian to Latvian
Project settings Nov 19, 2017

I once spent ages looing how to make space automaticallyicon_smile.gif

Project settings - Language pairs - (your pair) - Auto Substitution - Measurments

Uncheck unneeded function

[Edited at 2017-11-19 20:49 GMT]

Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU!!! Nov 19, 2017

In Denmark we say 'quick help is double help' ...
This will save what is left of my sanity - and I will be able to concentrate on the rest of the translation.

Thank you so much!

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
No space in front of measurement in Denmark? Nov 19, 2017

Christine Andersen wrote:
In Denmark we say 'quick help is double help' ...
This will save what is left of my sanity - and I will be able to concentrate on the rest of the translation.
Thank you so much!

Are you saying that your client insists that the Danish translation should not have any space in front of the measurements like g or mm?

If so, I believe it is as incorrect in Danish as in Norwegian. I realise they want the unit to be kept with the number, but the solution is not to remove the space, but use a hard space. In Studio you do it the same way as in word, i.e. Ctr+Shift+space if I remember right.

I would explain this to the client, who clearly doesn't know the target audience.

Roy

Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I am translating into English Nov 19, 2017

The source is Danish, and there are the correct spaces with all the measurements.

Of course it is the anarchistic English who can't agree with everyone else - or even among themselves - about the space. icon_biggrin.gif
The client has sent me a comprehensive style guide, most of it very sensible, but the metric units have to stick tight to the numbers. (Not the imperial units, - it is all fractions of oz and odd numbers of fl oz with no full stops. But there you go!)

I agree otherwise, I personally prefer to use a hard space, and it works in Studio as in Word... I use it a lot!

[Edited at 2017-11-19 21:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio changes unit formats from 25g to 25 g, 200ml to 200 ml etc.

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search