https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/32062-i_need_to_clean_dust_and_brush_the_tm_created_so_far.html

I need to clean, dust and brush the TM created so far...
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 13:21
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
May 6, 2005

in the sense of:

a) spellchecking (duh...) the translated side
b) do some global search & replaces on wrong terms
c) eliminate questionable pairs
d) ... will find some more on the way...

and I thought splitting it up in source and target rtfs (don't know how yet, so that's one of the questions) and then win-aligning them back together again would do the trick.

Is there a simpler way to do it?
Does it make sense?
How do you gals
... See more
in the sense of:

a) spellchecking (duh...) the translated side
b) do some global search & replaces on wrong terms
c) eliminate questionable pairs
d) ... will find some more on the way...

and I thought splitting it up in source and target rtfs (don't know how yet, so that's one of the questions) and then win-aligning them back together again would do the trick.

Is there a simpler way to do it?
Does it make sense?
How do you gals and pals do it?

TM stems from a number of smaller files (eventually rising to 100+) and is, from my PoV, the only chance to keep the language, terms etc consistent.

TiA

smo
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Export into txt and edit in Word. May 6, 2005

At least give it a try. Save the result under new name as .txt.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
How do you get a monolingual txt?... May 6, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

At least give it a try. Save the result under new name as .txt.

I can clean to get the target. But how do I clean to get the source?

TiA

smo

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
No go May 6, 2005

I would be happy if an efficient tool for "proper" maintenance of translation memories was an available feature of Trados - I have not been able to find antyhing really useful.

I have given up on this and only adjust segments as they come during translations; in my opinion, processing of text exports in any notepad-like application does not fall within the "really useful" category.

(Some people say SDLX is much better in this "TM maintenance" respect; it may be true, bu
... See more
I would be happy if an efficient tool for "proper" maintenance of translation memories was an available feature of Trados - I have not been able to find antyhing really useful.

I have given up on this and only adjust segments as they come during translations; in my opinion, processing of text exports in any notepad-like application does not fall within the "really useful" category.

(Some people say SDLX is much better in this "TM maintenance" respect; it may be true, but I would not like to pay the price of SDLX after investing in Trados.)

Perhaps there is somebody out there who knows better...?

Antonin
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Heartsome TMX Editor May 6, 2005

The Heartsome TMX Editor can be used for TM maintenance.

I must say that I am a bit surprised to hear that Trados does not offer a TM maintenance tool, a TM editor or something.

Heartsome's tool may not be totally what you've been looking for as it displays the TM with both source and target, but at least you have a lot of functions to insert/replace things or to search the T
... See more

I must say that I am a bit surprised to hear that Trados does not offer a TM maintenance tool, a TM editor or something.

Heartsome's tool may not be totally what you've been looking for as it displays the TM with both source and target, but at least you have a lot of functions to insert/replace things or to search the TM. However, it only supports TMX files, i.e. no Trados proprietary TMs. I don't know if that means losing formatting information during the export and import process. Give it a try and let us know.

HTH.

Sonja;)

[Edited at 2005-05-06 20:16]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
did not say, Trados does not offer a TM maintenance tool May 7, 2005

Bog, Sonja:

did mean to say, TRADOS would not have it. It's just that since 10 months or so of owning this SW, I did not need it and/or (with my 30 years in IT) could not find it (duh).

I guess it's nothing some tinkering with DTD on export from TM could not solve...

And of course, I went right away to URL and left my name there.

So, now my e:\Transl subdirectory will get one more addition - DejaVu, Fusion, Heartsome (new), SDLX, TRADOS, Trans
... See more
Bog, Sonja:

did mean to say, TRADOS would not have it. It's just that since 10 months or so of owning this SW, I did not need it and/or (with my 30 years in IT) could not find it (duh).

I guess it's nothing some tinkering with DTD on export from TM could not solve...

And of course, I went right away to URL and left my name there.

So, now my e:\Transl subdirectory will get one more addition - DejaVu, Fusion, Heartsome (new), SDLX, TRADOS, Transit, WordFast. Note they are sorted alphabetically for easier access;P

[Edited at 2005-05-07 03:24]

[Edited at 2005-05-07 03:25]
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TMX 1.4 retains format May 7, 2005

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

(...) However, it only supports TMX files, i.e. no Trados proprietary TMs. I don't know if that means losing formatting information during the export and import process.

With TMX 1.4 formatting information is not lost. With TMX 1.1, most, if not all, formatting information is lost.

If you need advanced filtering options to prune your TM, try Olifant (part of Enlaso tools). It's free and can be downloaded here: http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/olifant/ReadMe.htm

HTH

Piotr

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I REALLY appreciate .... May 7, 2005

have already downloaded and am having a look.

smo

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
... two weeks later I am two weeks smarter ... May 17, 2005

Here's my learning experience (with a TM in the order of 5000 segments)

a) TRADOS does have maintainance (check the workbench) and it does what it is supposed to do when asked politely;)

b) it does not spellcheck, Btw I think this is serious omission in the product and would not be such a big deal to correct

c) so what I did is what I was afraid I would have to do in any case - export, dust it, sandblast it etc. Here's how I did it:

i. export
... See more

a) TRADOS does have maintainance (check the workbench) and it does what it is supposed to do when asked politely;)

b) it does not spellcheck, Btw I think this is serious omission in the product and would not be such a big deal to correct

c) so what I did is what I was afraid I would have to do in any case - export, dust it, sandblast it etc. Here's how I did it:

i. export as text
ii. edit it (argh) in Word to get a table version (next time I write myself a word macro):
o eliminate (or actually put aside) the RTF preamble
o replace ^P pairs with &&&& (or any other character combination which for sure does not turn up in your document)
o replace ^Ps with ^t
o replace now &&&& with ^P

what you now have is one translation unit per line, with entries separated by tabs. Convert text to table and that should be it.

Creating the import file reverts the process, keeping of course the table new table entries, splitzting up lines in single ... units and single fields, putting on the RTFpreamble hat and you're done. Except for typos you should safe (in my case I learned it the hard way, looking at
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
... two weeks later I am two weeks smarter ... May 17, 2005

b) it does not spellcheck, Btw I think this is serious omission in the product and an easy one to correct

i. export as text
ii. edit it (arg
... See more

b) it does not spellcheck, Btw I think this is serious omission in the product and an easy one to correct

i. export as text
ii. edit it (argh) in Word to get a table version (next time I write myself a word macro):
- eliminate (or actually put aside) the RTF preamble
- replace "/TrU"^P"TrU" pairs with &&&& (or any other character combination which for sure does not turn up in your document)
- replace ^P"something"s with ^t
- replace now &&&& with ^P

What you now have is one translation unit per line, with entries separated by tabs. Convert text to table and that should be it.

Creating the import file reverts the process, keeping of course the new table entries, by splitting up lines in single fields, eventually putting on the RTFpreamble hat. Except for typos you should be safe and better off - in my case I learned it the hard way, looking at SEG ... for half an hour before I realized it should be Seg ....

Hope it helps

smo

[Edited at 2005-05-17 21:38]

[Edited at 2005-05-17 21:39]

[Edited at 2005-05-17 21:41]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need to clean, dust and brush the TM created so far...

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »