When will SDL Studio support the latest IDML version?
Thread poster: Maciek Drobka

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:15
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 25, 2017

Hello,

My client has recently updated InDesign on their machines to the latest version, and SDL Studio on my PC no longer recognises the IDML files sent by this client for translation.

I have SDL Studio 2017 with SR1 installed on my machine. The well-known option to 'Process unsupported file versions' is checked under Options > File Types > Adobe InDesign CS4-CC IDML > Common.

Interestingly, a colleague's memoQ has no problem opening my client's latest IDML files.

I will buy memoQ if I have to, the client's too precious for me to fuss about, but it seems odd that a supposedly leading CAT provider can't support a file format that's easily supported by another CAT solution. On the face of it, it looks like the latter solution is more leading than the former.icon_wink.gif

I may be wrong of course and missing something obvious. Your advice will be much appreciated.

(Exporting IDML files in a lower version digestible by SDL Trados 2017 is out of the question, the chain of command is apparently too long and twisted.)

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
IDML files Nov 26, 2017

This is the first time I hear that SDL Trados has trouble recognizing an IDML file. I would assume that SDL Trados (I have 2014) doesn't “open” IDML files (it can't) but imports it using a filter as you create a project. That's the process other TEnT tools use (I use Déjà Vu X3 and memoQ 8).

I'll be happy to lend a hand and try opening your IDML file. I do multilingual DTP and typesetting. Sometimes IDML files may get corrupted, like any other file format.

Mario
OH, USA

Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
IDML 2018 files and SDL Studio 2017 SR1 Nov 26, 2017

Hi Maciek,

I regularly work using Adobe InDesign (2017 and 2018 versions) and SDL Studio 2017 SR1 and I never faced any issue when importing for translation and exporting again IDML files (no matter which version generated it).

The only suggestion I may give is to check the Adobe InDesign CS4-CC IDML filter dialog. I use these settings and all works properly even when I'm dealing with complex Adobe InDesign files.

v7n1fef9wdcfjy5hxgoi.png
Moreover, I suggest accessing the SDL Community where you may find many hints, discussions and solutions to your problem.

Regards,

Claudio

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Claudio Nov 27, 2017

Claudio Nasso wrote:

(...)

The only suggestion I may give is to check the Adobe InDesign CS4-CC IDML filter dialog. I use these settings and all works properly even when I'm dealing with complex Adobe InDesign files.

(...)

Moreover, I suggest accessing the SDL Community where you may find many hints, discussions and solutions to your problem.

Thank you for your suggestions, Claudio. I have modified my IDML settings in Studio, but the files still won't open. I think I'll give the SDL Community a shot.

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Mario Nov 27, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

(...)

I'll be happy to lend a hand and try opening your IDML file. I do multilingual DTP and typesetting. Sometimes IDML files may get corrupted, like any other file format.

It's probably the first time I wish so much I didn't have an NDA in place for a client.icon_smile.gif Unfortunately, I am strictly forbidden to share any project files I receive from this client.

I wouldn't think file corruption is the cause here. ALL three files I've received from this client since they upgraded InDesign wouldn't open in Studio, and ALL three opened in memoQ. Looks like a pattern to me.icon_smile.gif

As a last resort before having to buy memoQ, I'll try asking SDL Community for help.

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found a workaround at SDL Community! Nov 28, 2017

A quick update: I followed Mario's suggestion to try using SDL Community, and I found a temporary solution here: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/2828

The post above is for Studio 2014, but it also worked for my Studio 2017, only I had to replace version 13.0 with 12.0 in designmap.xml.

So while I am still not happy that Studio 2017 can't handle my client's latest IDML files as part of the regular project creation workflow, I am glad I can tweak the files to help Studio recognise them. I hope the issue is fixed in a not-too-distant Studio update.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mario!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When will SDL Studio support the latest IDML version?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search