Studio 2014: Can't "save target as" with an Excel file
Thread poster: Heloisa Ferreira

Heloisa Ferreira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 27, 2017

Hello all,

I'm currently working on a very extensive Excel file full of tags. I've been working with Studio 2014 and I believe the file is from Excel 2013. Everytime I try to "save target as", I get an error message about one line. The latest was

"Failed to save target context. 'SF' is an unexpected symbol. A blank space was expected. Line 212. Position 47896."

I've tried everything - even working on MemoQ. No avail. I have almost completed my translation is Studio and can't convert the SDLXIFF file to its original Excel format.

What should I do? My deadline is approaching fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:45
English to Russian
Try this: Nov 28, 2017

When in Files (target), click right mouse button on your file => Batch tasks => Export files => Target version.
You can do the same from Editor with your file opened for translation: Batch tasks => Export files => Target version.
Also, make sure that the WorkSheet Name segments (red marker) are the same as source. Translate them manually if need be.

[Edited at 2017-11-28 05:29 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heloisa Ferreira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same error message Nov 28, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:

When in Files (target), click right mouse button on your file => Batch tasks => Export files => Target version.
You can do the same from Editor with your file opened for translation: Batch tasks => Export files => Target version.
Also, make sure that the WorkSheet Name segments (red marker) are the same as source. Translate them manually if need be.

[Edited at 2017-11-28 05:29 GMT]


Unfortunately I got the same error message when doing this


Direct link Reply with quote
 

MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:45
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
check original Excel sheet Nov 28, 2017

Look and see if there's some character, symbol, or graphic that might be causing the problem in the original document. Have the non-printing characters showing to help you find the problem. Remove the potential problem, save as a different name (for Trados), and create a new project and let it populate all the segments with what you have already translated. Then try saving the target and then paste whatever it is back into your translated Excel sheet.

If you try to do a preview in Trados and it works, then it usually also saves the target. If you can't get a preview, then there's still something in the original document that Trados doesn't recognize.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: Can't "save target as" with an Excel file

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search