Suddenly unable to add terms to Multiterm via Studio 2017 (Error msg: "Attempted to divide by zero")
Thread poster: Christina Stuettgen-Williams

Christina Stuettgen-Williams
Germany
Local time: 20:45
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 29, 2017

I am using Studio and MultiTerm 2017 with the most current updates and service packs.
I have been working on the same customer package for a couple of days now and have been happily adding terms to my termbase whilst translating (using the "Add New Term" and "Quick Add New Term" commands both via shortcuts and the menu items). All of a sudden, after about 5 days working on the same package file, every time I now want to add a term in whatever way (shortcut, menu, quic add, normal add) I receive the same error message "Unable to divide by zero" and can't add anymore terms. Assuming that maybe my TB got corrupted somehow, I created a new one from scratch, but the problem remains, I can't add any terms to my termbases anymore from within Studio. A crucial function since I really don't have the time for manual updates in MultiTerm itself.
I have also tried with other packages from other clients and with my own projects (where the customers didn't send packages) and I have this issue with EVERY file. Needless to say, I have rebooted the PC, restarted the software packages etc. etc.
The error remains and I can't add any terms at all.
Has anyone else encountered (and hopefully solved) this issue?

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech_
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Possible solution Nov 29, 2017

Does the same thing happen when you're trying to edit an existing term?
One of the culprits may be the one described in the last 3-4 posts of this thread
https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/299758-cannot_edit_term_in_studio_2015_sr2.html

Christina Stuettgen-Williams
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't seem to apply to my specific case Nov 29, 2017

Wojciech_ wrote:

Does the same thing happen when you're trying to edit an existing term?
One of the culprits may be the one described in the last 3-4 posts of this thread
https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/299758-cannot_edit_term_in_studio_2015_sr2.html

Do you mean the messages relating to the Web Lookup? If so, I don't have Web Lookup installed, so that workaround won't work in my case.
And no, I can't edit any terms, but not due to script errors, I just receive a little error message at the bottom of the Termbase Viewer saying "An Error occured", not an acutal pop-up window like the "Can't divide by zero" one or the rather common script error messages. I didn't even mention that issue since I was hoping that solving the "Divide by zero" issue I would also be able to amend terms again.

I have found a workaround about 2 hours ago by having the MultiTerm software itself open in the background and as long as MultiTerm is running, too, all the termbase functions in Studio seem to work fine. Makes no sense to me, but there you go.

A bit of a nuisance, but at least for now everything works. So my issue is no longer as critical as when I initally opened the thread, but I'd still love to be able to just use my Termbase within Studio WITHOUT having MultiTerm open in the background (unneccessarily using ressources/memory), just like I was used to with 2015 and for the last couple of weeks with 2017. So if anyone knows a solution, I'd still be happy to have one less issue with a generally buggy software ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suddenly unable to add terms to Multiterm via Studio 2017 (Error msg: "Attempted to divide by zero")

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search