QXP Story Collector import file is 8bit ....
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:05
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
May 6, 2005

which means I am stuck with Latin1 character set?!

Here's the context: I collected the Quark Express stories, exported, worked my way through it with TagEditor, checked the tags, checked spelling, and cleaned the file for getting ht translation back into QXP. On cleaning in TM the QXC single-language output file turns into eight bits and my č character turns è, as required by Latin1 character set.

This is so ... unfair;)

Any suggestions? Digging into
... See more
which means I am stuck with Latin1 character set?!

Here's the context: I collected the Quark Express stories, exported, worked my way through it with TagEditor, checked the tags, checked spelling, and cleaned the file for getting ht translation back into QXP. On cleaning in TM the QXC single-language output file turns into eight bits and my č character turns è, as required by Latin1 character set.

This is so ... unfair;)

Any suggestions? Digging into the &0C0 &cetera bag o' tricks - thought these times are past...

TiA

smo
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
PC or MAC Quark? May 6, 2005

Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
It's a PC ... May 6, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Jerzy

sorry for incompeteness.

XP professional. Trados 6.5 FL build 441

smo

[Edited at 2005-05-06 19:18]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
OK, and which version of Quark? May 6, 2005

Because I didn't know, that Quark does support Unicode.
Getting "Latin 1" characters means only for me, that you need the proper font (try Arial CE) and the problem should be gone.
Your WindowsXP does not have Arial CE, but my QuarkXPress 5 does show it... This is a virtual font - which represents the CE subset of open type Arial.

Regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
QXP is not the problem, it's the story collector... May 6, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Because I didn't know, that Quark does support Unicode.

I dont know either, and I dont think it does anyhow. If anybody, it should be the story collector plug-in, that should have some more feel for other char sets, and not QXP per se. It's the 6.0 Passport version - as good as it gets.

Getting "Latin 1" characters means only for me, that you need the proper font (try Arial CE) and the problem should be gone.
Regards
Jerzy

Gruesome ... and then do this replacement for 100+ files and a couple of dozen of fonts in them!? Just because of one single misplaced character? btw it should be LATIN2 (eastern europe char set), but instead of that it's either LATIN1 (or even more probably ANSI).

Gwendolyn Hayden
Gwendolyn Hayden
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Eastern Europoean lang not supported in QXP May 7, 2005

Vito Smolej wrote:

Gruesome ... and then do this replacement for 100+ files and a couple of dozen of fonts in them!? Just because of one single misplaced character? btw it should be LATIN2 (eastern europe char set), but instead of that it's either LATIN1 (or even more probably ANSI).

Actually, Quark's site mentions which languages are supported in QXP Passport 6, these are DA, NL, EN, FR, DE, IT, NO, ES, SV and Swiss DE.

You can purchase QXP Passport 6.11 Supplemental Languages updater to use one of the following language Xtensions: CZ, FI, EL, HU, PL, SK or TR.

QXP does not support the Unicode charset, but it should do in QXP version 7, as mentionend in a Press Release on Quark's site.

gwen

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Once again - it is a font issue May 7, 2005

And I´m afrai you will need to substitute the font in all your documents.
The charset used by Quark, if you for example set the text to Arial, is the Western one.
If there is a Helvetica used, so it is western Helvetica. You need Helvetica CE for this purpose - and will need to substitute (better: redefine formats) for all your documents.
Framemaker gives you the possibility to copy formats between files, maybe Quark does this too, but I´m not sure.

Regards
... See more
And I´m afrai you will need to substitute the font in all your documents.
The charset used by Quark, if you for example set the text to Arial, is the Western one.
If there is a Helvetica used, so it is western Helvetica. You need Helvetica CE for this purpose - and will need to substitute (better: redefine formats) for all your documents.
Framemaker gives you the possibility to copy formats between files, maybe Quark does this too, but I´m not sure.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
... did some thinking in the mean time.... and yes ... May 7, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
...And I´m afraid you will need to substitute the fonts in all your documents.
Jerzy

The hope is I can do it in batch mode for all the documents. Literally (let's be realistic) it's not hundreds of them. It's just one hundred and nine (109).

sigh.

Thanks, Jerzy.

smo

[Edited at 2005-05-07 10:20]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
supplemental languages support.... May 7, 2005

gwen- wrote:
You can purchase QXP Passport 6.11 Supplemental Languages updater to use one of the following language Xtensions: CZ, FI, EL, HU, PL, SK or TR.
gwen

I should have known/checked ... I have to check first what the alternatives are. If there's any (like visiting linotype site first ...).

Thanks so much!

smo

[Edited at 2005-05-07 10:27]

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Any editor utility will do May 7, 2005

The hope is I can do it in batch mode for all the documents.

QSC files are plain ASCII files, so it's quite easy to do a batch replace using any editor (e.g. UltraEdit).
1. Open the QSC file and search for the font you need to replace.
2. Create a new doc in Quark, type some rubbish, using the target font.
3. Export the rubbish file, open it in the editor and copy the font name (for proper spelling).
4. Open the original QSC file again and do a search and replace.
5. Done

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Jawohl!!! - and re CE fonts ... May 7, 2005

Klaus Herrmann wrote: QSC files are plain ASCII files, so it's quite easy to do a batch replace using any editor (e.g. UltraEdit)...

And that's not all: I do have some target language QXP files, that were created with the same template, i.e. with ALL the fonts I would need to translate, so I can use them to prototype.

AND - I got all CE fonts I ever needed right on the tip of nose: in the QXP itself.

So, problem solved 100%. Tthe reason for it? Ignorance, or, to put it in a more humane fashion, "not knowing" - English sounds better than Latin in this case - . Thanks everybody. Hope to be of a similar use same way down the road

smo

[Edited at 2005-05-07 12:05]

[Edited at 2005-05-07 12:06]

[Edited at 2005-05-07 12:06]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QXP Story Collector import file is 8bit ....

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »