Trados 2007 on Windows 10 with Office 365?
Thread poster: raimundo4u

raimundo4u
English
Dec 27, 2017

Hi all,

I am installing a new pc as backup for the current one.
The current pc has:
- Windows 7
- MS Office 2003
- MS Office 2007
- Trados 2007 Freelance
- Trados 2014 Studio

For the new pc, I am planning to use:
- Windows 10
- MS Office 2003 (!)
- MS Office 365 Business or maybe Office 2016 (The installed suite. One-time fee instead of monthly fees).
- Trados 2007 Freelance
- Trados 2014 Studio

Has anyone with a simular configuration experienced problems with Trados 2007 and Office 365 on Windows 10?
Or perhaps with Office 2003 in Windows 10?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Michele Lemieux-Madison  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:04
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
No more Trados 2007 Dec 27, 2017

From my understanding, you will have to use your Studio 2014 with your newer versions. The logic behind, as I understood it, and it makes perfect sense, is we invest money in newer software like Office and Windows, we also need to invest in newer versions of Trados since it is our tool with which we make our money. If you're worried about ttx files, I think you can migrate those. I have told my customers I no longer accept ttx files. If I'm going to invest in new software, they need to do the same! LOL

Good luck!

Michèle

laura kang
South Korea
Local time: 01:04
Member (2017)
English to Korean
It is really right trados "2007" you said? Dec 27, 2017

It sounds confused... a little.

i recommend you change your trados 2007 to 2017.
It much better than 2007.
Even 2014 studio isn't the newest program at all.

And others is same. They are so out of date.
In my opinion, you may need to upgrading your software a lot.

[Edited at 2017-12-27 16:44 GMT]

raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, 2007 .. :-) Dec 27, 2017

Hi Michèle, Laura,

Yes, you heard right. Trados Freelance 2007...icon_smile.gif
Some of my customers still require that I use the old Trados 2007, as well as .doc files with Word 2003 ...
I guess I will just have to try and find out to see if it works or not.

Kind regards

Adrien Esparron
Local time: 18:04
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Dual Boot or Virtual Machine Dec 27, 2017

Not so conventional your actual configuration, but why not if needed and working...

So, on the new Win 10 machine, just do some partition and install also Win 7 for a dual boot and all what you need as now.

You can also install a virtual machine (VMware or VirtualBox) on the Win 10 machine and install what you need for Win 7 applications.

Just enjoy, nothing difficult if you have what needed to reinstall what you need!

raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
VM .. Dec 27, 2017

Hi Adrien,

Dual boot doesn't seem very practical to me because at times I might have to switch often between 'the old world' (Trados 2007, Word 2003) and 'the new(er) world' (Studio 2014 and Word 2016).
So a VM seems like the better option.
Thanks for the suggestion!
I will take it one step at a time though. My current Windows 7 pc is still in good working order, so I have some time to experiment!icon_wink.gif

Kind regards

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 00:04
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience. Dec 28, 2017

I still use Trados 2007 because Studio 2017 still has some compatibility issues at times and 2007 is needed but also because the workflow on 2017 doesn't work so well for me with some specific customers. But while 2007 offers some basic functions on Windows 10 in my case it generates a lot errors. I mostly use it to quickly import old tms on workbench and export them in tmx format because the process on Studio is time wasting. Tag Editor doesn't work however. Maybe it's just my case.

raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
Which Office? Dec 28, 2017

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

I still use Trados 2007 because Studio 2017 still has some compatibility issues at times and 2007 is needed but also because the workflow on 2017 doesn't work so well for me with some specific customers. But while 2007 offers some basic functions on Windows 10 in my case it generates a lot errors. I mostly use it to quickly import old tms on workbench and export them in tmx format because the process on Studio is time wasting. Tag Editor doesn't work however. Maybe it's just my case.

Enrico, which MS Office version are you using with Trados 2007 on Windows 10?
That might make a huge difference (I suspect ...).

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 7 in W10 Dec 28, 2017

raimundo, I'm afraid Trados 7 just won't install in Windows 10. The installation process doesn't complete, at least in my case. I wouldn't think it has to do with the version of Word already installed.
My workaround has been to install a Windows 7 Virtual Machine using VirtualBox (open source) with Windows 10 as host. It is quite straightforward and easy to do.
Good luck!

raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Dec 29, 2017

I am happy to say that I am the proud owner of a working Trados 2007 and Studio 2014 setup under Windows 10!icon_smile.gif

From a clean Windows 10 pc:
I installed Word 2016 (as part of Office 365 Business Trial version).
I installed Word 2003.
I installed Trados 2007 Freelance.

For Word 2016, had to copy TRADOS8.dot to
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\
In Word 2016, the Trados buttons appear and they work when Trados Workbench is running.

In Word 2003 I got an error "SDL Trados Translator's Workbench is not running' .. when of course it WAS running ...
The solution is to specify in the Translators Workbench icon on the Windows desktop to 'run as administrator'.
Then the workbench is detected as running from Word 2003.

But... what would you expect ... Word 2016 then gives that same exact error .. "SDL Trados Translator's Workbench is not running'.
Okay. Then you create a 2nd desktop Workbench icon where the 'run as administrator' feature is NOT checked.
One icon for Word 2003, another for Word 2016.
Okay, software is there to make our lives easier, right?

That said, the Studio 2014 install worked as advertised. No problems. It mentioned an update, which it executed without problems.

So, for the moment, I am a happy camper !icon_smile.gif

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lucky you! Dec 30, 2017

I'm glad you made it raimundo.

raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 30, 2017

Thanks, Lorenzo!
I even got my old Brother HL-1230 printer working by using a USB to parallel port cable.
I really love that printer and I did not expect to get it working on Windows 10!

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 7 works with latest Java update Jan 6

raimundo4u wrote:

Thanks, Lorenzo!
I even got my old Brother HL-1230 printer working by using a USB to parallel port cable.
I really love that printer and I did not expect to get it working on Windows 10!

Hi raimundo, I've succesfully installed Trados 7 also, but on my Virtual Machine with Windows 7 as client and Windows 10 as host. Just wanted to point out that I uninstalled Java 5 (bundled with Trados 7 Suite), and installed the latest Java update (8.151) using its offline installer. I have tested the application (Word 2010 with Workbench active) and it works like a charm. As you surely know, it is very unsafe to have outdated Java versiones installed on your computer. Just wanted to confirm Trados 7 works with latest Java.

[Edited at 2018-01-06 20:44 GMT]

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 00:04
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Office and Trados 2007 Feb 2

raimundo4u wrote:

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Enrico, which MS Office version are you using with Trados 2007 on Windows 10?
That might make a huge difference (I suspect ...).

Hi Raimundo,

I am on Office 365 so it's always the latest version. But that is not the problem. Multiterm 2007 won't install because it's a 16 bit app (that is the error message i get) and TagEditor/Workbench generate a lot of error messages and then close, especially TagEditor. I can still import TMs in old 2007 format and export them in TMX, which is basically all what i use it for because the functions in Studio for that are just useless.

Sophie THEREAU
France
English to French
Human vs CAT Feb 2

raimundo4u wrote:

I am happy to say that I am the proud owner of a working Trados 2007 and Studio 2014 setup under Windows 10!icon_smile.gif

From a clean Windows 10 pc:
I installed Word 2016 (as part of Office 365 Business Trial version).
I installed Word 2003.
I installed Trados 2007 Freelance.

For Word 2016, had to copy TRADOS8.dot to
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\
In Word 2016, the Trados buttons appear and they work when Trados Workbench is running.

In Word 2003 I got an error "SDL Trados Translator's Workbench is not running' .. when of course it WAS running ...
The solution is to specify in the Translators Workbench icon on the Windows desktop to 'run as administrator'.
Then the workbench is detected as running from Word 2003.

But... what would you expect ... Word 2016 then gives that same exact error .. "SDL Trados Translator's Workbench is not running'.
Okay. Then you create a 2nd desktop Workbench icon where the 'run as administrator' feature is NOT checked.
One icon for Word 2003, another for Word 2016.
Okay, software is there to make our lives easier, right?

That said, the Studio 2014 install worked as advertised. No problems. It mentioned an update, which it executed without problems.

So, for the moment, I am a happy camper !icon_smile.gif

We have our Bear Grylls! Congrats!icon_wink.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 on Windows 10 with Office 365?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search