Termbases in Trados Studio/MultiTerm 2017 and recognising noun/adjective declensions (Russian)
Thread poster: koppsall

koppsall
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:25
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 30, 2017

I have an issue with my TB not recognising my Russian terms due to declensions.

As a rule, I have been saving my terms in nominative case (e.g. уходящий год) but in the ST I was working on today, I had уходящего года in genitive case so the TB didn't recognise it. I lowered the match threshold to see if that would change things but it still wasn't recognising it.

Therefore, does this mean that when saving terms in my TB, I have to save them in every possible case in both singular and plural form to ensure that the CAT tool will pick up on it?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Gruffydd
Colombia
Local time: 18:25
Member (2017)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just reduce the "Minimum match value %" value below 50%, for instance Jan 2

koppsall wrote:

I have an issue with my TB not recognising my Russian terms due to declensions.

As a rule, I have been saving my terms in nominative case (e.g. уходящий год) but in the ST I was working on today, I had уходящего года in genitive case so the TB didn't recognise it. I lowered the match threshold to see if that would change things but it still wasn't recognising it.

Therefore, does this mean that when saving terms in my TB, I have to save them in every possible case in both singular and plural form to ensure that the CAT tool will pick up on it?

Thanks in advance!

Dear koppsall,

Although there is a number of parameters you can play with, I believe the most important is Search Settings / Minimum match value % (as you surely know, you get there going to Project Settings / All Language Pairs / Termbases / Search Settings.
For instance, I had "ballpark" in a source segment and "ballpark estimate" in my termbase. With a value of 60% Studio couldn't find the latter. Then, all had to do was reduce the percentage to 50 or even less and bingo! "ballpark estimate" showed up in the Term Recognition pane. In languages like Russian, German, you name it, with a lot of declensions, modifying this value accordingly will take care of every variation.
For reference keep this link handy: SDL Studio Terminology recognition settings https://docs.sdl.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/SDL%20Trados%20Studio%20Help-v4/GUID-4A8C86CE-068B-4742-8094-93F14E82234C

I hope this helps. Wishing you a great New Year 2018!

[Edited at 2018-01-02 15:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-01-02 15:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-01-02 15:25 GMT]

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:25
English to Russian
If speaking about TB only, Jan 5

then yes, you have to add as many forms of a term as practicable. It is worth doing that, notably for long phrases (3 to 4 words).
I prefer to add terms in genitive case as they occur in the text. This is the most efficient way, because it often coincides with some other cases and occurs more often than nominative case.

In addition to Gruffydd's suggestions:

To mitigate this imminent inconvenience, make sure that all boxes are checked at File -
Options - Autosuggest - Autosuggest providers...
and use these features as much as you can. When creating Autosuggest dictionaries, Studio analyzes TMs and then allows you to retrieve the most popular cases and forms.
Also, use Ctrl+arrow keys to navigate between words and change endings as needed.

[Edited at 2018-01-05 12:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbases in Trados Studio/MultiTerm 2017 and recognising noun/adjective declensions (Russian)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search