Problems adding translations to TM using AnyTM
Thread poster: patricia_a
patricia_a
patricia_a
Germany
Dec 30, 2017

Hi,

I started a project several weeks ago which required me to translate into British English. Because I usually translate into American English and the target language of my main TM is AE, I used AnyTM (allowing me to use a BE spell checker). I was able to open and translate files with this setup but whenever I changed a translated segment and confirmed it, it would be added as a new translation. At some point that stopped. I don't know why – it was possibly after I closed and re
... See more
Hi,

I started a project several weeks ago which required me to translate into British English. Because I usually translate into American English and the target language of my main TM is AE, I used AnyTM (allowing me to use a BE spell checker). I was able to open and translate files with this setup but whenever I changed a translated segment and confirmed it, it would be added as a new translation. At some point that stopped. I don't know why – it was possibly after I closed and reopened the project. For a while, things seemed to be working the way they should.

Several days ago, I opened one of the project's sdlxliff files, which had been completed up to about 95%. With one or two exceptions, all the segments on the target side were empty. When I moved from segment to segment, the translation would be retrieved from the TM and I was able to recreate the file. After closing and reopening it, though, all the target-side fields were empty again. When I looked in the TM, I could find the translations. The same thing was true of the other file I had translated in the project.

I wasn't able to fix this and started a new project with AE as its target language. I added my main TM (not using AnyTM) and the original source files and got an sdlxliff file that was about 90% complete. Some segments that I knew I had translated could not be found in the TM. I re-entered them, hit Control Enter to add them to the TM and move to the next segment. I got the green pen and checkmark symbol indicating that it had been translated, and I didn't get any error message. After closing and reopening the file, however, those same segments were empty on the target side again and, again, I could not find them in the TM. I re-added the translation in one segment but this time went to the ribbon, and hit Confirm / Confirm but do not Move to Next Segment. Then I got an error message reading "Failed to update the translation unit (An unspecified error occurred.)." I went to the file view, right-clicked the file and selected "Update Main Translation Memories". I got 14 warnings, each one saying that a particular translation unit had not been added to the TM.

I have no confidence now that my work will be saved and have no idea what to do. Is my TM screwed up? What can I do to fix this?

I'm running SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 – 14.1.6413.8, Freelance.

Thanks,

Patricia
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:46
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Did you remember to save the file before you closed it? Jan 1, 2018

If you don't save the file before you close it, your work may be in the TM, but the sdlxliff file will still be unedited.

I cannot say for sure that this is the cause, but I've experience something similar to you, and I afterwards discovered I had not said yes to saving the project before closing it.

Of course, what I find puzzling here, is that usually Studio does ask you if you want the file to be saved when you want to close it, so I would have thought that I also di
... See more
If you don't save the file before you close it, your work may be in the TM, but the sdlxliff file will still be unedited.

I cannot say for sure that this is the cause, but I've experience something similar to you, and I afterwards discovered I had not said yes to saving the project before closing it.

Of course, what I find puzzling here, is that usually Studio does ask you if you want the file to be saved when you want to close it, so I would have thought that I also did so. If that's the case, I don't have any suggestion what is wrong.

Roy
Collapse

patricia_a
patricia_a
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Problem was corrupt project template Jan 6, 2018

Thanks for your suggestion, Roy! It turned out that the project template I was using was corrupt. After that was fixed, everything was back to normal. Many thanks to Paul and Steven from SDL for their help!

[Edited at 2018-01-06 17:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems adding translations to TM using AnyTM

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »