TMX conversion speed: can you please share your experiences?
Thread poster: Luca Tutino

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:59
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 5

A client is sending me recurrent projects with large TMX attached, sized 127Mb and growing. (I think the TM gets extracted anew each time after the review process, out of their CMS system.) Each time, by using Studio 2017 on my PC, the TM "Quick Upgrade" to SDLTM takes a very long time. The latest conversion was completed after more than 2 hours!

The upgrade to 2017 did not help noticeably: with Studio 2014, the time was not much different. Before spending money in upgrading my hardware, I would like to be sure that such a move could provide a sensible improvement.

It would be very useful to get experience records from colleagues, if possible formatted in a similar way to my record here:

* TMX FILE SIZE: 127,6 MB
* UPGRADE TIME: 2h 6 mins
* PROCESSOR: i3 350 (=3rd gen, 2.26GHz)
* RAM: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM

Please put any additional info you think might be useful under the last line, for example:
+ STORAGE: 1TB SSD

Can you please help? Any reply about TM above a couple of dozen MBs should do.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:59
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Have you tried a simple import instead? Jan 5

I have no answer to your question, but just as an idea: Why do you use the upgrade function (which I'm not familiar with)? Have you tried importing the tmx file into an existing TM instead of using the upgrade function?

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 17:59
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
It is slow Jan 7

In my opinion it's a Studio issue, unrelated to the type of machine you use i think. Because it does the same with me. Importing huge TMs can take as long as 4 hours at times. It adds to the countless list of other issues i have with the Suite and for which i have even given up asking for support because problem solving on Studio takes too much time and i grew tired of it.

[Edited at 2018-01-07 05:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMX conversion speed: can you please share your experiences?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search