Trados filters - the outsider's voew
Thread poster: big_fish

big_fish  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Jan 12

New to Trados.
And slightly amazed how complicated simple things can be (but that may be a natural feeling for a beginner).
A hilarious thing I've just found is that the filters work only FORWARD.
Seriously?
Is that the idea of filtering?
Or there's something I do wrong?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:28
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Could you please clarify a bit? Jan 12

What do you mean by "filters work only FORWARD"?

Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
forward Jan 12

By forward I mean not backwards, i.e. toward the end of the document and not the beginning.
In the CATs I know when you filter using a string (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+F in MemoQ) with a string highlighted, only the segments where the highlighted strings occur are displayed, BOTH forward and backward, so it does not matter where you start.
It makes the idea of filtering clear to understand and highly usable (unlike when it works only forward, especially if you want a quick check of what you've done so far in the same document).
Actually the find function also seems to work only forward in Trados (it won't even start from the beginning after reaching the last occurrence towards the end of the document.
Is it really so?
I can't believe it.
I must do it wrong.

Francisca van der Veen
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Both up and down Jan 12

When I use a filter in Trados, under tab Review > Display Filter, I get the filtered words in the whole document, both up and down. When I use the Find function, I can select to Search up, otherwise the search will be down.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Oh yes, you are definitely doing something wrong Jan 12

I am not sure what exactly are you doing, however, in the Editor view, when you click the Review tab, you get there a Search field where you can enter the expression you are looking for. Choose if you are looking for this expression in the source or in target, press Enter, and you will get all segments containing this expression (both "backwards", and "forwards", according to your terminology).

There are many more filtering options, but try this one, for the beginning.

Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jan 13

Obviously I expect to find most functions there and work more or less the same like in other CATs. It takes some time to find where they are.
I used the Advanced Display Filter and there is also the search up option in the search window, not where I am used to find it.
It's a relief and a good tip for the future to look in other places.
This must be some kind of legacy thing, because these are usually easier to find and in different menu items.
I believe it takes some customisation to get the menus more usable.
Thanks a lot!

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:28
English to Russian
AutoHotkey Jan 14

Hi big_fish,
Unlike memoQ, Trados leaves it all for users.
No it doesn't have a shortcut to run filtering just by a word you select. You have to copy and paste your desired word into the filter line or type it manually. And no, there is no 'Wrap around' for the Find feature.
This also applies to many other features. If you want the same user-friendly flexibility for Trados as it is for memoQ, you have to be a programmer and start with AutoHotkey as a minimum. All those features that mere users get out of the box in memoQ, suppose using additional applications in Trados: either from SDL App Store or 3rd-party apps like the above-mentioned AutoHotkey. No, you can't create a termbase directly from Studio—you need a converter. No, you can't sort segments by length or by alphabet. No, you can't even filter segments and save them as filtered. No, you can't filter by source and target simultaneously. No, you can't use a TM in reverse mode. Yes, a good half of the 'Advanced' panel may disappear at any time without any reason so that you can't find the 'Insert symbol' button. But you still can delete the magic xml threesome (if you manage to locate them among your system folders).
Get used to it somehow...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Worth a little clarification... Jan 14

Stepan Konev wrote:

No, you can't create a termbase directly from Studio—you need a converter.

Incorrect. You can create a termbase directly from Studio without a converter,

Stepan Konev wrote:

No, you can't sort segments by length or by alphabet. No, you can't even filter segments and save them as filtered. No, you can't filter by source and target simultaneously.

You can't sort at all, you can only filter. Trados works on the file itself and doesn't store data into a database. But you can save your filter settings and you can filter by source and target simultaneously... both features work out of the box.

Stepan Konev wrote:

No, you can't use a TM in reverse mode.

Yes you can. AnyTM is a feature built into Studio and it supports:

- reverse TM
- using any TM you like for a project irrespective of the languages
- the use of multiple source language in a single file

I like many of the features in memoQ, and I like many of the features in Studio too. They are different tools, work in different ways, and each have their own quirks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados filters - the outsider's voew

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search