What File Type is Wanted When an Agency Asks for my TM?
Thread poster: Laura Beach (X)
Laura Beach (X)
Laura Beach (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:36
German to English
Jan 18, 2018

Hello all,

I worked a project in Trados 2015, exporting the file as a Word Doc (the format of the source file). I submitted this, then the agency told me there is some missing text and that they would like me to send them my TM. Presumably they mean my project TM or the project file itself, because my main TM wouldn't be useful to them.

Are they looking for the SDL Studio Project File, or the SDL XLIFF document I created by choosing the "latest bilingual version" as t
... See more
Hello all,

I worked a project in Trados 2015, exporting the file as a Word Doc (the format of the source file). I submitted this, then the agency told me there is some missing text and that they would like me to send them my TM. Presumably they mean my project TM or the project file itself, because my main TM wouldn't be useful to them.

Are they looking for the SDL Studio Project File, or the SDL XLIFF document I created by choosing the "latest bilingual version" as the file version under export files, or some other kind of file? They're out of touch right now thanks to time zone differences, and I need to understand the uses of these file types better anyway.
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:36
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TM export (.tmx) Jan 18, 2018

Normally, they would want it for their own TM maintenance, ie. it to update their TM. For that purpose it would be enough to send them the .sdlxliff file (which is the bilingual file with source and target text).

If they want the TM itself then that would usually be delivered in .tmx format (ie. the TM export which is compatible with all sorts of CAT tools). That's what I usually deliver when asked for the TM (easily done in Trados Studio). And, of course, that would
... See more
Normally, they would want it for their own TM maintenance, ie. it to update their TM. For that purpose it would be enough to send them the .sdlxliff file (which is the bilingual file with source and target text).

If they want the TM itself then that would usually be delivered in .tmx format (ie. the TM export which is compatible with all sorts of CAT tools). That's what I usually deliver when asked for the TM (easily done in Trados Studio). And, of course, that would be the TM for that particular project.
Collapse

Laura Beach (X)
Laura Beach (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:36
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
How is a .TMX File Limited to One Project? Jan 18, 2018

I'm still quite new to Trados, but I believe a .tmx file is made from an existing translation memory. If I want to limit the .tmx file to only one project's data, I need to have a project TM and convert that, right? If I've done the translation using only my main TM, can I make a project TM afterwards? Is that what the "populate project translation memories" option is for under batch tasks?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Laura Jan 19, 2018

Laura Beach wrote:

I wouldn't bother with "project TM" etc. Simply create a new, temporary TM, save it somewhere useful (e.g. your Desktop) and then add the translated SDLXLIFF file to it (right-click the TM inside Trados, in TM view).

All segments will then be added to that TM, and that TM will contain all and only translations from the translated SDLXLIFF file.

Kerstin Mohnberg
Kerstin Mohnberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:36
English to German
TMX Jan 19, 2018

TMX is the "translation memory exchange" standard, so just export a TMX file from your TM.
If you want to limit it down to certain files completed, you can create a TM fro just those files and export that one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What File Type is Wanted When an Agency Asks for my TM?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »