Excluding certain characters from an Excel word count (Trados or otherwise)
Thread poster: Striborg
Striborg
Striborg
Italy
Jan 25, 2018

I'm at my wit's end with this, and I swear the internet is devoid of answers on this particular issue.

I received a job in the form of a partially translated Bilingual Excel worksheet, with column A being the source, column B being used to mark the lines that need translating (With a circle and the color green), and column C being used for translation (source is pasted in here in case a translation is still needed).

Now, the problem is that I have no idea how I can poss
... See more
I'm at my wit's end with this, and I swear the internet is devoid of answers on this particular issue.

I received a job in the form of a partially translated Bilingual Excel worksheet, with column A being the source, column B being used to mark the lines that need translating (With a circle and the color green), and column C being used for translation (source is pasted in here in case a translation is still needed).

Now, the problem is that I have no idea how I can possibly count the japanese characters for this.
I need to exclude punctuation marks, brackets, already translated portions (sometimes in the same cell), and some markers that don't need translating since they're part of the programming of the game, and don't constitute dialogue. (eg: "[symbol]").

Trados hasn't helped so far. I'll admit that I don't know how to best utilize it, but the options I could find were abysmal, and didn't seem to help in the slightest.

Basically, all I want to do is count how many Japanese characters are in the text, and ONLY them.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:15
English to Russian
Hide all columns except C Jan 25, 2018

I wonder why do you want to exclude punctuation marks and brackets?
Imagine that you [in your client's shoes] receive a translation without punctuation marks, numbers, brackets or even spaces between words (they don't need translating either).
Not standard practice...
Even those translated portions will need handling or double-checking. If your client did not bother to filter out cells that don't need translating, then it means he/she needs them all. Just hide all columns exc
... See more
Imagine that you [in your client's shoes] receive a translation without punctuation marks, numbers, brackets or even spaces between words (they don't need translating either).
Not standard practice...
Even those translated portions will need handling or double-checking. If your client did not bother to filter out cells that don't need translating, then it means he/she needs them all. Just hide all columns except column C (which is true copy of column A as far as I understand) and import it into Trados as normal Excel. Once you are done with it, unhide all hidden cells.
Collapse

Striborg
Striborg
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Already excluded columns Jan 25, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:

Because they're not being translated? I mean, their position and quantity is going to be different in the translation, and they just inflate the character count without actually constituting content I'm being paid for.
But regardless of the current situation, this is something I'm going to need again and again in the future, since there's always going to be stuff that I need to selectively exclude.

I have already excluded the other columns, my problem is that the selected cells have a bunch of stuff I don't want to include in the count.

Does trados have any options you can use to narrow down what it actually counts as a word?
I've looked around a bit, but the only things I've found online are complains from professionals who complain about how inept the program is at doing the simplest things, which seems weird for a tool that claims to be the professional standard around the world.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:15
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Embedded content Jan 25, 2018

You could use regular expressions. File Types > Microsoft Excel [...] > Embedded content.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:15
English to Russian
Not known to me Jan 26, 2018

Striborg wrote:
Does trados have any options you can use to narrow down what it actually counts as a word?

Fortunately, neither Trados nor any other tool I know do not have an option to remove commas and numbers from counting. Not only punctuation marks are put in different ways depending on the language. I've already mentioned spaces as another example. Their 'position and quantity is going to be different in the translation' either. And they do not need to be translated too. So what?
It is not Trados only. I've never heard of any CAT tool capable of satisfying such a weird intention. Including commas in counting is totally normal. Unless you are the one who has to pay (but not much willing) for translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excluding certain characters from an Excel word count (Trados or otherwise)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »