Only including marked lines in a project
Thread poster: Striborg

Striborg
Italy
Feb 3

I work on software and game translations, and it's not uncommon for them to be delivered in already partially translated excel files.
The lines I have to translate are usually marked with a color or a symbol, but how do I tell Trados to discern that?

Granted, it's a minor thing since the program still recognizes them if I specify the "Format" column, but it's frustrating to see my finished projects being rated at "66% completion".
I want Trados to either hide the non-marked lines, or to still show them but not consider them part of the project. (So skipping them/not counting them towards completion)

Francisca van der Veen
Local time: 07:10
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Filter and lock segments Feb 3

If you can filter the already translated segments, you could confirm them all and then lock them.

Striborg
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
How? Feb 3

Filtering allows me to hide the non marked lines, but I can't quite figure out how to invert that filter, so that I can visualize ONLY the non-marked lines to lock them.

Francisca van der Veen
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
How are they marked? Feb 3

In what way are the marked segments marked?

Francisca van der Veen
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Anyway.... Feb 3

If you can visualize the marked segments, you could:
1. Change the segment status of the marked segments in Translated
2. Remove the filter
3. Apply the filter Not translated. Only the non-marked segments will now be displayed (unless they are marked as Translated, but I don't think so, because you said they are being counted as to be translated).
4. Lock all the displayed segments.
5. Remove the filter
6. Change the segment status of all the non-locked segments (your initially marked segments) back to Not translated.

Of course this is worth your while for bigger projects.....otherwise it might be just a waste of time, even though it shouldn't take long once you've done it one time.

Jason_P
South Korea
Local time: 13:40
English to Korean
post a sample (a part of it, if possible) Feb 3

if you post your sample, the reply should be a lot more easier than this.

and currently, SDL's filter is pretty nice - do you happen to know the Community Advanced Disply Filter ?

regards

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:10
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
There are several possible solutions Feb 3

Striborg wrote:

I work on software and game translations, and it's not uncommon for them to be delivered in already partially translated excel files.
The lines I have to translate are usually marked with a color or a symbol, but how do I tell Trados to discern that?

Granted, it's a minor thing since the program still recognizes them if I specify the "Format" column, but it's frustrating to see my finished projects being rated at "66% completion".
I want Trados to either hide the non-marked lines, or to still show them but not consider them part of the project. (So skipping them/not counting them towards completion)

The best solution might vary, depending on the actual format of the files you receive. Assuming you receive an Excel sheet consisting of two or more columns (one column for the source language, one for your translation, and possibly other columns as well for other information):

In Excel
First, copy the file you have to translate, and work only on the copy of that file (you want to keep the original "as is", just in case something goes wrong);
Hide all columns that are not the one with the source text and the one where you should insert your translation;
Hide all the rows that are already translated (if they are color-coded or marked with a special symbol, it's easy to do that for all rows in a single operation, using Excel's filter feature);
You should now have an Excel file with only two columns visible;
Copy the text from the source column to your target column;
Hide the source text column;
You now should have visible only a single column (your target column), in which the visible cells contain a copy of the source text;
Save the file, and close it.In Studio
Create your project, add your TM and Termbase, and the file you prepared as above: you are going to see only the text you ave to translate.

There may be variation of this technique, if, for example, you also need to see in Studio the cells that have already been translated... but this should give you a general idea of what to do.

Striborg
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies Feb 3

I think I'm going to go with Francisca's method, but thank you for your input, everyone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Only including marked lines in a project

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search