Feb 5

Hello,

It's the simple and same question:
How do I use Trados on a MAC?
Apart from installing Bootcamp or so, I had the idea, of
simply aquiring a netbook with windows installed, and
thereby use it like a "typewriter", meaning, this netbook
will be used for Trados-work only.

Now: still I'm not sure about the system-requirements.
Do you think, e.g. on of those laptops will do the job?

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-604811966-laptop-dell-latitude-e6420-con-win-10-pro-_JM

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-612216785-laptop-hp-240-g2-4gb-ram-300gb-dd-windows-10-_JM

I'm happy to get your advice, since I'm just not experienced
enough in the PC-department.

Thanks,

Frederik

Direct link Reply with quote

Nelly Keavney
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:18
Member (2017)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Using Trados on MAC Feb 5

Dear Frederik,

I am using Trados on a MAC. There are few ways to approach this, but after many weeks of extensive reading how to do it, I decided to install a virtual machine. I am installed Parallels ( there is a paid yearly subscription of around £80.00. After installing parallels I purchased Windows through Parallels.

Thus, I can run simultaneously Parallels (Windows) and my MAC Operation system. I spend few days learning and experimenting with Parallels setting. Once you get used to it, it is superb.

When you get the Parallels (with Windows) running, you just have to install your Trados files on the Parallels virtual machine.

I found Bootcamp and partitioning the MAC far too difficult. I love running Windows (and my Trados) alongside my Safari and other Mac programs.

Hope this helps,

Nelly

fklingenschmid  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 5

Hi Nelly,

I heard about that solution too, but also rumors that parallels will slow your Mac
down plus it's not good in general to run those 2 systems at one time and can
damage your macbook.
That's why I had the idea of keeping both seperated and also save money I suppose.
How much was the window license, purchased through parallels?
I only thought that it might be cheaper go get one of the posted laptops
for around 150€ with windows already installed.

Nelly Keavney wrote:

Dear Frederik,

I am using Trados on a MAC. There are few ways to approach this, but after many weeks of extensive reading how to do it, I decided to install a virtual machine. I am installed Parallels ( there is a paid yearly subscription of around £80.00. After installing parallels I purchased Windows through Parallels.

Thus, I can run simultaneously Parallels (Windows) and my MAC Operation system. I spend few days learning and experimenting with Parallels setting. Once you get used to it, it is superb.

When you get the Parallels (with Windows) running, you just have to install your Trados files on the Parallels virtual machine.

I found Bootcamp and partitioning the MAC far too difficult. I love running Windows (and my Trados) alongside my Safari and other Mac programs.

Hope this helps,

Nelly

[Edited at 2018-02-05 22:21 GMT]

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
http://www.sdltrados.com/products/trados-studio/system-requirements.html Feb 6

A notebook is an expensive yet low-end (subpar; a-la compact/mobile & economy class) PC counterpart, let alone sub-notes as netbooks (the Internet-browsing books).

Depending on the average document/project, TMs, glossaries, and so on, although Windows x64 requires more CPU power, memory, and storage, it can provide better performance. The point is a 64-bit system requires almost double size--32GB+ storage (preferably SSD) for the OS only and 4GB RAM is the absolute minimum, that's why 4GB memory max/cap support is a real drawback, not to mention i5 CPU is much better than Celeron (namely rejected Pentium). Just do versus considering the working style and purpose--including the screen, weight, battery, shockproof, look/touch-n-feel, and so on.

If you plan mostly work from home, then a 22"+ monitor and an external anti-RSI keyboard and mouse is almost a must!

P.S. Backup! Use a shared/mapped drive/SD/USB!

Nelly Keavney
United Kingdom
Member (2017)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
I agree with DZiW Feb 6

Hi Frederik,

I don't know what Mac/Macbook you have, But mine is an iMac with the following:

Processor 3 Ghz, Intel Core i5, Memory of 8GB and Storage of 1 TB.

Look into the system requirements to run SDL trados that DZIw has shared.

It is really a personal choice.

My Mac is actually not slow at all, when I am using both Parallels and Mac OS. Sometimes my Parallels (windows side) is slow, so I have to restart Parallels. But this only happens if I have worked continuously for 4-5 hours and constantly have to switch between Mac and Parallels.

As I said using Mac is a personal preference. I have been a Mac user for 8 years now and would never go back to using a Windows computer.

As an example how Mac is so much better than any Windows computer, I had to re-install my Mac OS over the weekend, after accidentally pulling the cable plug during an update. After the re-install I found all my files where they were before (plus my Parallels). So I didn't have to restore anything from my backup.....

You can never re-install Windows and get all your files back.

However, if you are to get a Windows Computer, look into getting one with more SSD power, if you are to work with Trados.

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/10254

Cheers,

Nelly

Nelly Keavney
United Kingdom
Member (2017)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Cost of Windows Feb 6

Sorry, I just forgot to tell you about the cost.

I think I paid about £120.00 for the Windows, another £80 (annual subscription for Parallels) and another £80.00 for Microsoft Office (Word, Exel)

Frederik, if you have a Mac/Pro/Air, IMac you surely paid around the £1000.00

Plus Trados is another £400.00...

So paying another £200 (to have Windows on your Mac is peanuts).

I don't know about you, but I used my previous MacBook for 5 years without any issues (no issues).

So you have to think about this investment in the long term. If you are travelling (are you going to carry 2 computers in order to work?)

Parallels damaging Mac is just not possible.

Before I made the decision where/how to install my Trados I spoke with the guys from SDL, and they actually recommended getting Parallels (virtual Maniche) and not VM Ware.

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on a simple Netbook?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search