Trados 6.0 changing fonts, styles in Word XP
Thread poster: Rufino Pérez De La Sierra

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 16, 2005

Thanks in advance for your always valuable help!

I am translating a series of manuals of the same kind I have been doing for a few years now, but since Friday Trados is changing the fonts, their size, style (bold, italics), and it is making everything in Capial letters or adding strike to the test.

I have no clue as to why, original files as same as always, so I don't think it's that.

Any help will be highly appreaciated.

Thanks
Rufino

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Is Trados really changing them? May 16, 2005

Becaus I would suppose Trados is RESTORING styles as they are defined!
Please check, if the styles do match your document.
Ie if the style "Standard" (Normal?) is set to the same font, sisze, language and other parameter as it appears to be in your document.

We have had this discussions numerous times now. I remember answering such questions at least 4 or even 5 times this year.
I would say, that those changes are allmost allways caused by mismatched styles. Sometimes a "Far East" history of the file (this means there is an asian language deifined somwhere in the file) plays another role.

So before you start to translate, set the styles to match the formatting of your document and set the language of the whole document to your TARGET language. Switch auto language recognition off. Doing so you will prevent allmost all changes.

Regards
Jerzy

Louise Dupont  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:27
English to French
But how? May 17, 2005

Hello Jerzy,

I know that this subject is very popular. I found numerous questions and explanations in the Forum but never the detailed "How to". Can you explain the procedure to follow, I'm not a Word Pro.
TIA

Louise

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is no easy way to explain that May 17, 2005

if you don't know, what the others do know.
The subject get's even more complicated, when different language versions of Word are to explain.
I'm using Word in German, so everything I explain is based on that. If you don't know what styles, style sheets, document templates and so on are, how shall I explain this to you, if I even don't know how they are precisely named in the english Word version?

Please take Word help and look there for changing styles in document and working with templates.

My way of working with Word and Trados consists of very few steps:

- Open the document
- Open the styles window
- Check, if the styles match the document (ie document in Arial, but styles in Times New Roman)
- Adapt the styles to match the document. SETTING ALL styles with language given to my TARGET language
- Check, if there are no unavailable fonts. Replace them by available fonts
- Select the whole document and once again set the language to your default language

These steps are quite easy to follow, you do not need to be a Word expert. What you don't know, simply ask in the help function of Word - believe me, you will get very good answers.

Regards
Jerzy

Louise Dupont  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:27
English to French
Thanks! May 18, 2005

Thanks Jerzy!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.0 changing fonts, styles in Word XP

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search