Studio 2017: Termbase Viewer Popping Up Randomly, Exact Matches Not Propagating
Thread poster: JoelD

JoelD  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:39
Japanese to English
Mar 25

I just updated to 2017 from 2015, so it's time to log on to Proz like I do once every two years to file the obligatory Studio bug report.
Never once have I had a smooth install with this software since starting to use it in 2009.

Versions
SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 - 14.1.10009.15268
SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1 - 14.1.2471.5

Windows 10

Ok, there are multiple screwy issues going on.

#1a

First, after clicking F3 to do a concordance search on a term or phrase, when I attempt to cut (Ctrl+C) & paste (Ctrl + V) the bit I want out of the Concordance Search window, the Termbase Viewer window pops up, as if I have hit the shortcut key for adding a term. In my shortcuts, this action is Ctrl + Backspace, so I don't know why this is popping up. Oh, I just found out this also happens when I try to Bold, Underline, or Italicize anything. So, is there something to do with Ctrl key?

#1b
Until the last restart, Studio was stuck in a loop where it would ask if I wanted to edit the term, then any choice (X, Cancel etc.) would bring the prompt back up repeatedly and my only option was to End Task from Program Manager. Now it seems I can choose the red X to cancel the operation, then the small x to close out the Viewer, but the question remains: WHY is the window popping up in the first place? This is an incredible annoyance and a huge waste of time.

# 2
Despite checking all my settings, exact and fuzzy matches are not auto-propagating. I ran the same file through 2015 and got several exact and fuzzy matches. My settings should all be the same because I loaded my user current profile when I began the the 2017 install.

The Viewer window seems to default to Fragment Matches, whatever those are. After I manually switch to the Concordance Search tab, I can see exact and fuzzy matches that are not being propagated (See #2). When I try to cut and paste them into the Target, the Termbase Viewer window pops up (See # 1a). (Yes, I know I can right click to Insert

So, perhaps you can understand why I am so frustrated! Thankfully, I can still use 2015, so until this worthless software is fixed, I will keep using the older version.

I've tried various other suggestions, like turn up check spelling as you type etc. but they don't work. I often see SDL Support recommending the "solution" of turning off your anti-virus software, re-installing and turning your anti-virus back on. Am I the only one who finds this ludicrous? I'm not a tech wizard, but I cannot grasp why the software will not work in an environment that 99.9% of people would be working in, i.e., with robust security in the "on" position. Furthermore, all I have is Windows Defender, and I don't know what you have to do to turn off anti-virus from there.

Like most everyone else here, I am an insanely busy freelance translator, and I also travel often to interpret. I do not have time to be screwing around with reboots, re-installs, and workarounds ad infinitum.

############ EDIT ############

After I posted this, I went back into 2017 and Issue #1a happened again. when it prompts you about editing the term, the only option you can choose is "Yes", then it adds an empty duplicate term in the termbase and keeps looping.
I am now going to turn the computer off because 2017 WILL NOT SHUT DOWN even after multiple End Task requests.

This software is rubbish!

[Edited at 2018-03-25 13:49 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:39
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Translation counterproductivity sufferware Mar 26

JoelD wrote:
This software is rubbish!

Of course it is, and things get worse and worse with time. Our industry would be a much better place without this piece of sufferware.

I have stopped worrying about its numerous errors and always ask the client to deal with them. This tool is never my choice; it's always the client's. So, they get to deal with the bad choice of tool they made, and I keep my sanity. I have much better things to do and enjoy than fight an application in a fubar state.

JoelD  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:39
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
SDL sent me a fix Apr 4

Copying and pasting the fix that SDL suggested. It seems to work, but now I have to re-do all of my settings and keyboard shortcuts from scratch. Oh well, at least it's not crashing every third keystroke.

---
I note you said you used your 2015 profile in 2017. I'd recommend you start with a clean slate when you move between major versions. There may be problems, or differences between the versions and you are potentially introducing legacy issues into a new product. Rather than try to figure out what's happenning with each of these please do a reset and see whether this changes things for you.

Rename this folder (just add _old to the end or something, it's not important what you rename it to) and restart Studio:

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14.0.0.0

So the path would become this:

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14.0.0.0_old

---

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017: Termbase Viewer Popping Up Randomly, Exact Matches Not Propagating

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search