Why does Trados has such problems with big projects?
Thread poster: Egmont Schröder

Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:23
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Mar 27

I am working on a project with 4 Mio segments, luckily I am only the editor.

Can you imagine it takes 45 minutes to open it? Really! I stopped the time!

That's not the only problem, it crashed multiple times during my review. Nearly every step takes a short or long loading period, and the last time the comments dissappeard for unknown reason. Guess what to do: Close without saving (it got stuck after that again) and start it again... And wait again for 45 MINUTES!!! I did this several times today (and yesterday, and the day before yesterday).

It is not the first time that I have problems with this kind of projects, but this time it is the worst. With a certain size an analysis takes forever, a task that takes only a few moments with other CAT tools. And don't get me started on the grammar check... At least they have the courtesy to note that it will take some time. And yes, the saving … How can they want 500 Euro for this mess?

I am done with this tool, I know this is a support forum, but actually I just want to post (another) rant. The only thing that works from this company is the advertisment.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
4 million segments? Can your computer even manage it? Mar 27

That would amount to a project which is about 100 mill. words strong. I wonder if you can find any CAT tool that can easily manage such a mamoth project.

(That said, I am not in favour of Studio myself either - I prefer Dejavu, which can handle Studio projects very nicely, by the way, but I wonder if any CAT tool would handle this without problems.)

If I were you, I would try out the different tools around and see if any of them will manage this gargantuan project easier. I can mention Dejavu, memoQ, Fastword and memsource. It would be interesting to know if any of them will have any better success, though I suspect that the limiting factor in the end is the strength of the computer you use.

Roy

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
1000 novels? Mar 27

That's roughly 1,000 novels and a net RAM need of 400 MB plus all sorts of indexing and other stuff. How much RAM do you have? If it's not enough, your computer will be swapping data in and out of the swap file all the time. Unless you use an SSD, this will kill performance.

SDL support recently said one should avoid files with more than 10,000 segments. According to this, you should break up your file into 400 smaller files.

But yes, there are many inconveniences with Trados Studio.

enrfer
Norway
Member (2017)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Just poor project management Mar 27

Its simple - its poor management.

Split it up, it is faster and safer.

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:23
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Do you mean 4 million segments in the grid (which seems kind of impossible), or in the TMs, etc.? Mar 28

Egmont Schröder wrote:

I am working on a project with 4 Mio segments, luckily I am only the editor.

Can you imagine it takes 45 minutes to open it? Really! I stopped the time!

That's not the only problem, it crashed multiple times during my review. Nearly every step takes a short or long loading period, and the last time the comments dissappeard for unknown reason. Guess what to do: Close without saving (it got stuck after that again) and start it again... And wait again for 45 MINUTES!!! I did this several times today (and yesterday, and the day before yesterday).

It is not the first time that I have problems with this kind of projects, but this time it is the worst. With a certain size an analysis takes forever, a task that takes only a few moments with other CAT tools. And don't get me started on the grammar check... At least they have the courtesy to note that it will take some time. And yes, the saving … How can they want 500 Euro for this mess?

I am done with this tool, I know this is a support forum, but actually I just want to post (another) rant. The only thing that works from this company is the advertisment.

Hi Egmont,

I'm no fan of Studio, far from it, but I just wanted to check we are on the same page.

From my experience, you may want to try the same huge project in the Memsource desktop editor, which I find to be the best at handling very large projects, and especially very large TMs/TBs.

Michael

Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I finally finished it... Mar 28

This was a nightmare yesterday, luckily it is over now...

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

From my experience, you may want to try the same huge project in the Memsource desktop editor, which I find to be the best at handling very large projects, and especially very large TMs/TBs.

I want to change to Cafetran, with the ProZ membership I have a free license, and I am very satisfied with BaccS, which has a similar development history (a translator started in his past time, from translators for translators).
The problem ist: My major client only sends me Trados packages, and I am afraid that there will be compatibility problems.

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

That's roughly 1,000 novels and a net RAM need of 400 MB plus all sorts of indexing and other stuff. How much RAM do you have? If it's not enough, your computer will be swapping data in and out of the swap file all the time. Unless you use an SSD, this will kill performance.

SDL support recently said one should avoid files with more than 10,000 segments. According to this, you should break up your file into 400 smaller files.

I am using SSD and have 8 GB RAM, this should be enough.

The package had 4 Mio segments and was around 36 MB big, actually quite a heavyweight.

I didn't hear anything about the restriction. Where did you get it?

enrfer wrote:

Its simple - its poor management.

Split it up, it is faster and safer.

Maybe I should mention this to the PMs...

[Bearbeitet am 2018-03-28 08:43 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2018-03-28 08:53 GMT]

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:23
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran can easily handle Studio formats... Mar 28

Egmont Schröder wrote:

This was a nightmare yesterday, luckily it is over now...

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I want to change to Cafetran, with the ProZ membership I have a free license, and I am very satisfied with BaccS, which has a similar development history (a translator started in his past time, from translators for translators).
The problem ist: My major client only sends me Trados packages, and I am afraid that there will be compatibility problems.

I and many other CafeTram users have been translating Studio files (packages and sdxliff files) for years now in CafeTran without any real problems. It's actually a lot more fun to use CT on Studio files than Studio itself, as CafeTran is so much lighter and more stable. Just ask around @ https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions and people are sure to help you get started!
Michael

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Next time split the project into smaller parts Mar 28

Hi Egmont,
I'd get the PM top split that into smaller parts next time.
The only time I've had to wait for Studio is when the client wants to use some online TM that's probably huge and isn't keeping up with my computer so I just tell the PM and deactivate the online TM.
Always better to work with everything on your own computer.

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
The restriction Mar 28

Egmont Schröder wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I didn't hear anything about the restriction. Where did you get it?

As I said, it was SDL support that said it. Not as a restriction, but a recommendation.

Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about the consistency? Mar 30

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Hi Egmont,
The only time I've had to wait for Studio is when the client wants to use some online TM that's probably huge and isn't keeping up with my computer so I just tell the PM and deactivate the online TM.

But what when I have to check a word or a term over different files? I have to open every single part of the package and perform a search. This is not very efficient.

Let's hope there is not next time, because I am going to switch to Caftran:)

I already installed it an played a little bit, it starts and opens projects much faster than Trados, so this is a promising alternative.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
German to Serbian
+ ...
Agree. Mar 30

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Hi Egmont,

Most of the times clients are aware of this (for Studio Freelance version) and they send you many small files instead of a huge file.

Egmont, I believe this is common in Freelance version. Professional version has a much better capacity with a much higher price tag.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does Trados has such problems with big projects?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search